Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-55 Mystery

I am restoring the Mystery radio and the chassis is working great with a recap job but the problem is the bakalite volume knob has the gear all but striped.
Is there a way to repair the gear?
Bob.

Not that I am aware of. You would have to be good at molding plastic.

Right now, the only answer that I am aware of is to obtain the thumbwheels from a junker set.

Too bad...a 39-36 chassis sold today on eBay for only $1. Of course its thumbwheels might have been stripped also...one never knows.

Maybe this is a job for one of the people who can duplicate parts (Old-Time Replications or Renovated Radios)? There may be a potential market here...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron ,
I may look for a metal gear or something I can use to replace the plastic material. I replaced a lot of the wiring in the radio, man do I hate that rubber coated wire. You just move it a little and it cracks off the insulation and the replacement war is on. I must of chased broken wire to every point in the chassis. It is up and running and it sounds great. Now it is off to the cabinet refinish.
Thanks for the great site, My next project is a Philco Model 87 Highboy.
Bob.

Hi Robert,
I assume you have tried Mike Koste or David Frush on the Resources page?

If you're looking for a gear, you might want to try an R/C helicopter/ car site. Some have used R/C gears to substitute for their dial drives, etc. especially ones that were made of crumbling pot metal.
2 examples:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=EEE

http://www.robinsonracing.com/index.html

Of course a custom molded knob by Larry or someone would be best, but until then you might have to rig something up.

I don't know what the knob/gear looks like , so I can't recommend what I'd do. I am curious about what it looks like so if you can email a picture that would be great.
Good luck,
Gary.

Thx for the info Gary, You have given me an idea.
Try to replace the gear with a new metal one I just have to find the right diameter and teeth.
Question? do you know how the dial on the Mystery control comes off?
I don't want to break anything at this point.
Bob

Carefully hold the outer edge of the Mystery Control dial and using thumb and forefinger of other hand, gently turn the center domed dial portion COUNTER-clockwise, just like loosening a screw. That domed piece in the center has an embedded machine scew in it that holds the whole dial to the gear shaft.

thanks Chuck;
Breaking this would be a very bad thing.

Are the thumbwheel controls all the same for these sets in that era? I may have some new ones in my stash.

e-mail me at cdh041-at-earthlink-dot-net

Hi Doug

Other than the 1939-1940 models being a darker brown than their 1941 counterparts, I believe the thumbwheels are all the same.

I once had to replace volume and tone thumbwheels on a 1939 or 40 Philco. I had a 1941 junker, and pulled the wheels from it. After replacement, I noticed the thumbwheels on the left were a lighter color than the ones on the right! Icon_eek Worked perfectly though.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN