Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1256 (was: Bulb Identification)

Hello all,
I was hoping to replace a bulb on my 48 Philco but I couldn't find out what kind it is or where I would get it. It is not a tube, its actually the little light bulb that sits behind the glass. The previous owner must have thrown the other one away and I have no clue.
-Chris

NOTE: Thread title edited by site admin.

Hi Kid,
Welcome to the Phorum. Do you know the model number of your radio? If you can find out that information I'm sure someone here will be able to answer your question.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

Welcome to the Phorum Chris!!!

Here's a link that has helpful info on how to identify your radio:
http://www.philcoradio.com/id.htm

With the model number we should be able to look up the schematic and find the bulb type. If you can't find any identifying information, try posting a photo of the front and the back and someone here can probably ID it. Here's how to post photos.

If your radio is a model 48, the Philco p/n for the bulb is 6608, which is a #46 bulb. Available at Radio Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....e=Category

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Ah, good thought Carl. I was thinking 1948 models since the 48 is a 115v Direct Current model. Don't see them to much.

Here is a picture I found on google of the model that I have, hope this helps to narrow it down. Thanks for all of the help so far!

The radio pictured looks like a 48-1256 which uses Philco p/n 34-2477 pilot lamp.
Here's a thread discussing the C-7 nite-lite replacement:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...ht=34-2477

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Thanks for that thread recommendation! I just went to Lowes to look for the 7 W but they were all too long for the small space available behind the glass. I ended up getting a short 6W and it fits nicely.

I'm actually in the process of restoring the radio, I purchased it for $25 and it wouldn't turn on when I bought it. There were nests in it and it had been sitting in some garage wasting away. Here is a before and after of the wood work. I also just added a speaker but the stations that come in are so faint over the hum that I have to put my ear up to it. I hope I wired it right, I'm no electrician by any means. I just enjoy restoring older items as a hobby. If I may, I might post how I wired it and see if anyone notices anything funny. The plan is to get it up and running and then put some legs on it so it will be a unique and functioning end table radio.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks nice.. In my opinion though I wouldnt put legs on it. If you want it as a sort of end table why done you make a stand for it with a base about the same size as the radio and put the radio on it. That way you wouldn't ruin a nice old radio's originality.

That's a good point actually, I'll put some thought into that. I am also in the process of trying to wire up the phonograph portion but won't be able to test it until I buy a needle for it. Can anyone tell me where to locate one, and if I need anything else based on this picture? I know nothing about these.

Attached Files Image(s)

I haven't used this supplier but bookmarked him...maybe he has something: http://www.vintagelectronics.com/Lookup.htm

You might want to stick (not frce) a pin in the cartridge, hook it up and scratch it to see if it is still good. Chances are it will not be. Well then you will be looking to replace it. Lots of help available to do this.

Shot an email out to the vintage electronics.com contact, quoted about $30 for pin and new cartridge. Probably going to go that route. Wired up the phono, everything seems to function fine minus the sound of course. But I do need a new set screw for the bottom of the arm where it meets the base. This isn't the needle screw but the bottom of the arm. Does anybody know what type of screw this would be? Btw, everyone's help here has been great, made this process very easy. Next step is going to be sanding down the metal phono surface and repainting it somehow, it is currently rusted and pitting in spots.

Please keep us posted. I have the exact same set, but I'm waiting for a chance to go pick it up before I can start working on it. I found it on craigslist for $35.00, but I live almost 200 miles from the seller. My Stepson lives a lot closer so he picked it up for me, but we haven't had a chance to get together so I can get it. I'm using one of the Craigslist photos of it for my avatar. If you buy a replacement cartridge, I'll be very interested to hear how well it works.

Thanks!
Dan