Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stuck Knob on 610B

I have recently acquired a Philco 610B. One of the knobs refuses to come off. It is the center knob on the tunning control. The outter knob seems to move along the shaft a little bit, but the center knob is stuck fast (and, of course, it must come off first).

Natually, I would like to preserve the orginial knobs if at all possible. Do you have ideas on removing stuck knobs without damaging them?

Thank you,
Perry

Hi Perry

I moved this thread to Philco Cabinet Restoration as it seemed to be a more appropriate home for it.

Over the years, the most common "cure" I have read about for this problem is to put a piece of heavy string behind the stuck knob, wrap once around the shaft if at all possible, and then pull as hard as you can with both hands - one on either side of the knob, pulling on both ends of the string. Be aware that the knob may very well end up flying across the room.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It also shouldn't hurt anything if you squirted some WD behind the front knob, very likely that the spring got stuck to the shaft, I had a knob stick to a splined steel control shaft once and that did the trick.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for your suggestions. Because the inner and outer knobs are "nested", I could not get a string behind only the center knob. But, using a strong nylon twine wrapped on the shaft behind the outer knob and a steady pull, both knobs came off (undamaged).

I did not need penetrating oil this time, but I will keep it in mind for even more stubborn cases.

Thanks agin,
Perry

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Correct model 84 Ac plug an cord type
From what I read Philco went to using brown rubber power cords in 1936, so cloth was used in the 1935 and earlier models...Arran — 11:25 PM
Hi Bruce, I have not worked on an 84, but in general, power cords for almost any radio prior to 1938 was cloth covered...MrFixr55 — 08:34 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
OK, well, so after staring at the sch again, I realized the problem had to be the #12/12A padder. I put a scope on the o...morzh — 08:15 PM
Hello Bruce, I mostly use brown far as my cloth powercords go ! Here is the plug that I have used bakelite Acorn style...radiorich — 08:05 PM
Looking for as correct as can find the right Ac plug an the correct colored cloth line. Ive seen many old photos but mos...Bruce — 04:13 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Rod Two Y-caps make sense if you use them from L/N to the chassis; this is only makes sense in the transformer radios...morzh — 10:11 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Mike, I'm curious about a specific use of he Y cap. Lately I've seen a single cap across the power transformer primary. ...RodB — 09:01 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
hello morzh , That sounds like a plan ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 07:45 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Richard, It helped some, but I still had the whining when engaging the rear power strip (I did not realize it was fro...morzh — 07:07 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Hello morzh, Yes , that dreaded hum in my room where i do alighment I have my cable modem and router plus desktop plus ...radiorich — 11:25 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

>