Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HELP - Broken grille, Philco Tropic 41-758EZ

Thank you, John (Eliot), Sam, and Greg - great suggestions all. After Christmas is over, I'll look for something thin to use as backing material.

In my online research this morning, I discovered that there is a two-part epoxy similar to J-B Weld, made for aluminum - Alum-Bond. Maybe some of that stuff, together with some sort of backing to give the broken joints extra strength, will do the trick? I think if I had not tried to remove the excess J-B, it would have held...but for how long? I agree that reinforcing the glued joints is necessary; I just wasn't sure how to go about it.

And Sam, I may still want to make a mold and make a plastic duplicate, after I get the original back together, just in case Icon_eek

The radio looks pretty sad right now with just one center grillebar:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...e00015.jpg]

Now that the cloth is in the cabinet, I see that I didn't get the cloth completely straight. Icon_rolleyes But it's straighter than that shown in the factory Philco illustration above, so it will do.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: HELP - Broken grille, Philco Tropic 41-758EZ - by Ron Ramirez - 12-23-2014, 12:25 PM