Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690 Refinish June Update

Sure, you can do it that way - by hand. I use a 3M polishing compound for lacquer and a pneumatic buffer with a foam pad.

A fresh, gloss lacquer finish is too shiny unless buffed out and the process will level other imperfections as well. Normally I will wet sand first with ~1500 wet/dry.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Beautiful X2...
DO mine now, Icon_lol

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk,

Thanks for the compliments.

We don’t live too far apart LOL Icon_biggrin and I know you have one waiting.

I need to get through mine first. Right now my head is spinning trying to figure out how to finish it off. I like the gloss look, but was it really glossy when new? Then there is the fact that I don’t have the fancy orbital sander yet, so now what? Icon_crazy

Don’t get too much in Kutztown Icon_biggrin

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”

Tony,
I have already bought 4 radios and I have not even gotten there, Icon_lol
Thats about all I am getting unless I find a real nice addition or a Halson.

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I think they were all glossy.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I found this Mohawk product on the Mohawk website. I don’t know if anyone has used this or a similar product. Looks to be right up my alley. Let me know what you think.

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_...ictNbr=251

They also have a level 2 product.

http://magicwoodrepair.com/items/Rubbing...s/list.htm

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”
Photo 

Well the cabinet is finally done. I did rub out the finish using 1000 and 1500 grit wet sanding, followed by Mohawk Stage 3 Poly Buff. There were three grits of Poly Buff, Medium, Fine, and Extra Fine. Each step was followed by the next till done. I gave the whole cabinet a coat of OZ Cream Polish after the rub down. Here are the results. I plan to have better pictures once it's together shortly.

I will say this has been quite a learning experience, and a gloss finish will certainly bring out any flaws that exist. The main thing is that I learned so much by doing this project, that I won't hesitate to do another of this magnitude, and make improvements too.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tony

It looks great.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I wouldn't kick that one out of my living room! Beautiful job!!!  Icon_thumbup

Gee Wizz  It looks better that when it left the Philco factoy!   Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Super deluxe, a real beaut of a job.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Beautiful!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Absolutely Gorgeous!!! Fantastic job!

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup