Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Westinghouse H125

Hi Guys,
I’m finishing up a Westinghouse H125 “Refrigerator Radio”. The 35Z5GT was blown so it was replaced. Additionally, the radio has been recapped and resistors checked. Voltages are running high. The #47 lamp blows if I don’t use a Variac to power up slowly. Voltage at the house is typically 123 V., which doesn’t help. Since the lamp connects to the 35Z5GT I suspect the problem is in that area. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Thanks! - Rob

Check all tubes. For the filaments dropping proper voltages at the proper current.
And check the 35Z5 for the short.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi Rob,

Usually it's a problem w/ the heater string or excessive hv current that will pop the bulb. It has all 150ma heater tubes in it right? If so I'd check around the output tube to see if the plate, grids, and cathode voltage are ok. Then I'd swap the 35Z5. I've got a green one. It's fun to play w/ a pringle tube near the loop when you get it all together.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry. I’ll keep digging into the little bugger. - Rob