Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring Philco 38-14

Hello morzh,
I am looking forward to see your work on the cabinet !

Sincerely Richard

Hello Mike. This chassis can be advertised as an excellent example of a small and compact, but impeccably built and reasonably perfect radio. No, I am not an advertising agent. Icon_lol

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

I like to tape off labels, take into the bathtub and hose it down with dish soap (and 10% bleach in water if it was a mouse house) and the Shower Massage. Does a great job, and everything gets hosed and cleaned i the cabinet that way

BTW, why the noise in AC-DC sets but not transformer powered? It is because:
The power transformer is a natural low-pass filter.
The Full Wave Rectifier cancels "common mode", in a manner similar to a Push Pull Output stage.

I have tried to run an AC-DC set off 2 portable power packs that have "modified sine wave" output. Lots of noise. Same power supplies on transformer sets with full wave rectifier, no noise. I have used these supplies for outdoor "live sound" PA gigs for the mixer and wireless mic receivers. However, for better portability and easier setup (the mixer and mic receivers are in a "road case", like a portable rack mount), I use batteries and no convertor. The Mic receivers run on 120VAC to 12VDC "wall warts" so I installed "shoes" in the case for 12V Lithium power tool batteries. For the 120V to 34V (with center tap) AC transformer, I replaced that with 2 shoes for 24V Lithium power tool batteries. Nice and clean.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Mr. Fixr

Yes, about the rectifier. Though the noise, when them plug is polarized (I have just changed it) and plugged consistently with the negative of the sch (the switch) to the Neutral, is fairly low.

Transformer is indeed a low-pass filter, when it comes to the differential; with the common mode (everything differential of Hi-Frequency will create a CM at the output via the inter-winding capacitance) it is a good question if we care enough about it, as in today's devices the sole reason we do is the compliance (hence the bridge cap), and the two Y-caps at the primary winding to the chassis will take care of it, even though we cannot hear it much.
Yes, the same Hi-F input will create some of the differential output, but like you said, the transformer itself will attenuate it, plus the rectifier filter (and in theory a smaller low inductance cap in parallel to the electrolytics should help further) will kill the rest of it.

Good thing is, the second rectifier capacitane (in the LC filter) is not really limited (within reason), so the cap could be increase almost indefinitely (within reason).

In fact, I implemented a Greinacher doubler in my Telefunken (to make DC close to the one made of 220VAC), and that radio is fairly quiet.

-----------------------

Now, about the cabinet.
Whatever happened to GoJo? None of our two auto stores (Advanced A/P and Autozone; the PepBoys stopped being a store and retained only service facility) carries it anymore; they carry that orange stuff, with pumice and the one without the pumice has aloe and some other cosmetic stuff I don't care about.
I will have to order Goop or GoJo in smaller tubs online; Amazon does not even carry GoJo, only Goop.

Oh well. Seems like my hook and pick kit came.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Goop application results:

The Goop I used.

Before application

After. The spot is the glue from the label the idiot who sold it used. Many labels are easily peeled; this one is really stuck.
I was able to remove it with the same Goop.

The dirt removed in one swipe

The rest is various spots.
This one is the difference between before/after Goop:

Attached Files Image(s)

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Overall I am pleased so far. The abscense of the petroleum smell, obviously, is not a factor here.
Will buy another tub when driving by the Harbor Freight.

Hello morzh,
that bakelite cabinet turned out very nice !

Sincerely Richard

Rich

It hasn't yet as a whole, burt parts of it have.
I hope finish it tomorrow.

I also want to try it on the lens, which is quite yellow, and see if it improves it appreciablty, as I do not really want to disassemble the holders. Those Tinnerman clips are a pain, and even thought I am now equipped with goodly number of various picks and hooks, it is still a task to recon with.
I hope it works well enough for me to not be tempted to remove the lens.

I guess, the dial will wait until that junker with my name on it comes along. I am not very fond of the idea of using the RadioDaze replecement: it looks..off. Flat plastic.

Hello morzh,
I don't blame you I would not want to remove that dial cover either and the one in the Philco I got from Ron is also yellowed too. the set I have is AM/FM bakelite set .

Sincerely Richard

The inside was clean with Windex, as it was simple dirt. Then I followed with Goop.
I cleaned the whole case and the lens.
The label would refuse to come off, though the top one, that was stuck to backelite, did come off after Goop application. Mineral spirits did not help either.
Eventually I applied IPA, and after initial massage it came off pretty fast.
Alcohol left some white residue, but that rubbed of with dry paper napkin, and then with some Goop too.

The result is not bad: it is not crystal clear, but not as yellow as it was. Given the yellow color of the dial, it is quite passable.

The top. What you see is not dirt but the structure (the top is very clean)
interacting with light. I still am mulling whether to apply some brown shoe polish. I just might.

Side

Inside

Front. I have some Goop smeared on cloth, hence the spots; but I noticed those will dry up eventually.

Lens

What you see in the lens is the items behind and not reflection, so as I said, it is fairly transparent.

morzh,
For sure it looks really good !

Sincerely Richard

Rich

Thanks, it looks passable, considering Icon_smile
I probably, now that I think about it, should've bargain down and buy that junk 38-14 in Kutztown. It had a decent dial.

Assembled, on the workbench

Under different light, on the billiard table

The video of reception in the basement using a 3-ft wire is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkDJFWTskVA

This pretty much concludes it for this radio.

Nice work Mike, what station was playing the Classic Music?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul,

Didn't notice. I was concentrated on just tuning stations. Do you remember what part of dial that was?