Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-180 in the hands of a Newbie

I'm a Newbie that has had the chance to acquire a couple of Philco radios very inexpensively. One is a Philco 40-180, and the other is a Philco Model 71 (Code 221). I need to obtain as much information on these two models as I can get my hands on. I've an electronics background (USMC Radar Tech on RF4B & EA6A, Hardware Support Engineer (Computer) for Honeywell and Burroughs/Unisys). I changed careers and spent the last 20 Years as a Web Master Graphics Design Person and College Level Instructor. I'm getting back into this as a Hobby after Retirement.

I've ordered an Isolation Transformer and a Variac from Radio Daze and will not do anything to these units until I have all documentation and safety systems in place. Slow and steady is the word here. I've also an old Setchell-Carlson Model 416 that I've picked up for $20.00 that I'll practice on before going after either of these guys.

I'd like any and all advise, data, information, resources, and experience that any of you feel like offering. If you've been there or done that, all the better. Remember, I've been out of electronics for over 20 years and away from any hands-on for longer than that. It's coming back, but slowly. Safety warnings, schematic and documentation resources that would be of help, parts resources and anything else that you think would be helpful would be gratefully accepted.

Here is my inspiration for the 40-180: http://home.flash.net/~lfscott/Restorati...0-180.html.
Once I figure out how to add images here, I'll include shots I've taken of these two units.

My thanks in advance for any help or advise any of you have to offer.

Jim Ryan,
Costa MEsa, CA.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-180 in the hands of a Newbie - by Jim Ryan 76 - 02-06-2009, 12:43 AM