Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

620/630 "Philco" decal placement

Derek - take a look at Ed Locker's 620B, which I posted in the "Inside of a Philco 620 Cabinet" topic:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=188

As you can see, the PHILCO decal goes above the speaker grille opening. This holds true for Model 630B as well.

I've seen the pre-production illustrations you refer to in those brochures, salesman's catalogs, etc., that show the decal in between the tuning knob and band switch knob. This was probably not done in production, although, knowing Philco, variants could possibly exist.

It was common for Philco to illustrate a new model with a certain "look" and then make slight changes in it before it went into production. The Model 20 cathedral comes to mind; I've never seen one of those with the odd escutcheon pictured in period advertisements. And I could go on, but I feel this is sufficient for now.

The 1936 Philcos were built in the Kensington neighborhood of Philadelphia, with the main facility on C Street between Tioga and Ontario Streets, and in nearby "satellite" plants in the same neighborhood. Cabinets were built by Philco and by subcontractors in the Philadelphia area. I'll have to look up the info for Model 620B later...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
620/630 "Philco" decal placement - by Derek D - 01-10-2006, 05:00 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 01-10-2006, 05:39 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 01-12-2006, 03:56 PM
[No subject] - by Derek D - 01-12-2006, 04:56 PM