Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 77 hacked?

I have not found exact matches for the large rubber washers under the chassis and on top of the chassis for the tuning chassis. I've looked at Rennovated Radios and at Old Radio Parts, but the sizes don't match. It is difficult to be sure about the exact sizes since the original ones are so mummified, but they seem to have a 3/8" hole (the bottom ones have a metal sleeve through them). The ones on the bottom measure at 1/4" thick and the ones on top of the chassis measure 1/2" thick.
Any suggestions about finding or manufacturing replacements?

Charlie in San Antonio

By the way, Ron. The cotton wire wire sleeve came in the mail finally, and it will hold the four wires for the speaker cable easily, but snuggly. The cotton is undyed, but takes Rit dye just fine. I will try to post a picture after I get it installed on the cable. I'm planning on pulling the bundle of wire through the sleeve with a coat hanger. My only complaints are the company sent about 3.5 feet when I ordered 4 feet, and the shipping was more than the sleeve.

Charlie in San Antonio

Charlie
Regarding those rubber washer/spacers that you can't find.

I used new fuel hose sliced with a razor and smoothed on a grinder. Watch out for those fingers.
I know it sound a bit cheesy but results aren't bad and they don't rot very fast. Of course it can be had in many sizes and cut however tall you need. I took me a few tries to get it right.

It's easier to smooth the end of the hose first then cut to length and smooth the other end of the newly cut washer.

Chris

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
                           /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]  Chris

I ended up stacking washers to get the right thickness, but it seemed to work. I'll keep the hose solution in mind for the next one. Those older sets had a whole different standard on so many things and replacement parts just don't exist. We have to get creative.
Save those coil, choke, and transformer rejects. The day will come when we will all become experts in home winding.

Charlie in San Antonio