Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

42-327

Actually, withing six months of me buying a new dial for my set I ran into another example on fleabay that had a perfect dial, it was listed for $10 and went through without a bid, which made me feel sort of dumb. I had to buy a repro glass dial for one of the larger Addison table models a few years later and paid less then that including the shipping.
Regards
Arran

Looks great.  What did you use on the cabinet to make it come out so nice?

Thanks Bill. Actually, the first thing I did was to hand rub the bare wood cabinet (ie, dial glass, grill cloth, etc. removed) with Goop (or GoJo) hand cleaner. Rub the whole outside down. Then, with a lightly dampened cloth, thoroughly wipe is down to remove any excess Goop. Take a dry cloth and wipe it again. You'd be surprised and how much dirt and grime will come off on the dry cloth. Next I use Minwax Golden oak wood treatment. Took one of those blue heavy duty paper towels, fold it three or four times, dip it into the can of stain maybe about 1/2 down and dab off the excess stain over the can. Then I wipe the cabinet down with the stain. Work it into the wood grain. Then take a dry cloth and wipe it down again to remove any excess stain. The object is NOT to restain the cabinet, rather to allow the stain to soak into the dry cracks of the wood to enhance the original finish. Finally, after it dries over night, I finish it up with Scott's Liquid Gold aerosol wood spray treatment. For the black trim areas...and if you weren't laughing at my Goop  treatment you will be now... I touched up the dings and chips with a black permanent "magic" marker. Matched perfectly.

Everyone has their own technique when it comes to wood cabinets. Mine may have some shaking their heads, but my feeling is whatever works best for you and gets the job done, go with it! Icon_lol

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Whatever works, and from what I can tell it really worked well. Icon_thumbup 

Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

(10-14-2014, 09:20 PM)NostalgiaRadioTime Wrote:  .....Everyone has their own technique when it comes to wood cabinets. Mine may have some shaking their heads, but my feeling is whatever works best for you and gets the job done, go with it! Icon_lol

Looks good Greg.  I have used a similar process to yours, including the black magic marker, for years.  I also have an arsenal of various waxes and leather dyes that have served me well over the years.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I forgot to ask this before. After you use the stain you do not apply any varnish or clear sealer, just the Liquid Gold?

Beautiful! The finish turned out great.

Nice job! I have a simalar Philco. Does not have the push bottons. Mine is the 42-335. It also has a different shortwave band.