Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SEPARATING SPIDER & VOICE COIL FROM OLD DAMAGED SPEAKER CONE

I've gotten some great advice on repairing my 1932 Model 43 speaker. I've even seen some great videos on using the coffee filter material and fabric glue to repair holes and tears. However, I saw one informative video where the craftsman actually attached a new cone from MAT electronics to a spider and voice coil from an old speaker where the cone was beyond repair. Basically he did his own re-coning. My question is this--I'm wondering how he separated the voice coil/spider assembly from the old paper cone? Would one brush on a solvent, and then peel off the speaker paper? I think I'm going to use the coffee filter technique for my job, but would like to know about options...in case I botch it up!

I just cut the spider out with an exacto knife.  See http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...3#pid77053

Thank you, Bob, for clearing-up one more mystery!

Jim

(11-28-2014, 11:35 AM)klondike98 Wrote:  I just cut the spider out with an exacto knife.  See http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...3#pid77053

I think that's my video you are referring to. The old cone had deteriorated to the point where I just needed to clear away some fragments. I think I did use an exacto knife.

Be aware the foam surround of the MAT cones will stick up above the frame and may press against the cabinet. The foam is also more flexible that the original stiff paper surround. The end result is that it doesn't sound as good as an all paper cone.

Thanks Bob, this is very helpful! Jim

(11-28-2014, 04:19 PM)Bob Andersen Wrote:  I think that's my video you are referring to.  The old cone had deteriorated to the point where I just needed to clear away some fragments.  I think I did use an exacto knife.  

Be aware the foam surround of the MAT cones will stick up above the frame and may press against the cabinet.  The foam is also more flexible that the original stiff paper surround.  The end result is that it doesn't sound as good as an all paper cone.

When using a cone with a foam surround, be sure to use spacers on the mounting bolts so the foam surround doesn't touch the mounting board.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks, Steve! I think I will try the "coffee filter patch and glue" method to repair this speaker, since most everything is intact. However, I will keep all this great advice for use when I have a really beat-up speaker to deal with, that requires re-coning.

(12-01-2014, 11:18 AM)Steve Davis Wrote:  When using a cone with a foam surround, be sure to use spacers on the mounting bolts so the foam surround doesn't touch the mounting board.

Steve