Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why did Philco have 2 screws , marked red & black, on a rear of model 116B ?

Hello out their,
  I was going to add a audio input jack to a Philco #116B, but I noticed a (2) two screw terminal strip in the rear of the chassis, marked Red & Black !  Might that be for a phono-input , that I can use for my audio input , or were they put their for another reason ?  Currently their are NO connections, between them !
 Thanks for your help, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL

If it is anything like in 37-116, it is not for Phono (well, it is not in your case certainly), in mine they are for some form of loop antenna.

(11-28-2014, 08:32 PM)morzh Wrote:  If it is anything like in 37-116, it is not for Phono (well, it is not in your case certainly), in mine they are for some form of loop antenna.
  Thanks for your quick reply, Morzh, I tried to attach the audio from a CD player to the red & black screw lugs , appears to be NO input from that connection !  I guess I'll do it the old way , on the feed TO the volume control, that I have done before !   Thanks again , Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL. ( 35 miles SW of Chicago )

The RED and BLK screws are for Philco's All Wave Aerial, later called the Philco High Efficiency Aerial. It was a dipole with two twisted leads used as a lead-in. The red wire connected to the RED screw; the black wire to the BLK screw.

A little more info here:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/40-6112.htm

If the set owner did not use the special Philco dipole, he or she could connect a conventional longwire to the ANT fahnestock clip on the chassis.

If there are no connections to these screw terminals inside the chassis, then someone has monkeyed with the set at some time.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(11-28-2014, 09:31 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  The RED and BLK screws are for Philco's All Wave Aerial, later called the Philco High Efficiency Aerial. It was a dipole with two twisted leads used as a lead-in. The red wire connected to the RED screw; the black wire to the BLK screw.

A little more info here:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/40-6112.htm

If the set owner did not use the special Philco dipole, he or she could connect a conventional longwire to the ANT fahnestock clip on the chassis.

If there are no connections to these screw terminals inside the chassis, then someone has monkeyed with the set at some time.

Hi Ron,
  Thanks for the input, It didn't look like a phono input , but I thought I would ask anyway !  I guess I "miss spoke" , I meant to say , their are no wires attached on the outside of the chassis , but inside the chassis their are 2 wires that run to the last "selector switch wafer" , looks like original wiring !
   Thanks again for your help, Ron,    Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.