Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 95 Lowboy

Sal, on the schematic Aaron posted (link below), I'm trying to figure out where I'm looking. Could you reference the resistor number (23?) and the compensator number? My eyes are going buggy.
Jerry
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/95.jpg

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

(01-27-2015, 06:56 PM)jerryhawthorne Wrote:  Sal, on the schematic Aaron posted (link below), I'm trying to figure out where I'm looking.  Could you reference the resistor number (23?) and the compensator number?  My eyes are going buggy.
Jerry
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/95.jpg

Jerry,

The resistor is #23. The compensating condenser is #5. In my picture, on the right side is the dark grey resistor, vertical. The condenser is just below it and slightly to the right. The manual has a very clear picture, not a schematic, showing how each component is connected, minus all other wiring so it's very clear. The bottom resistor lead is shown connected to the top terminal on the condenser.

Thanks,

Sal

I'm confused Sal, as usual. It might be interesting to see what is connected to resistors 20 and 21 the .1meg resistors. Perhaps you have a different "run" from the schematic listed?

Jerry,

One lead of resistor #20, resistor #21, and resistor #23 are all connected to the same terminal on the 4th RF transformer. This looks correct on the schematic as well as the picture in the service manual Chuck sent me. The other lead from resistor #21 is connected to condenser #15. The other lead from resistor #20 is connected to one of the terminals on the detector socket. These look correct, also. But the other lead from resistor #23 is connected to condenser #16, according to the schematic, but the picture shows it being connected to compensating condenser #5. Which is correct? Perhaps either way is electrically correct but I don't understand the polarity of capacitors yet.

Sal

Sal, don't worry about the polarity of caps at least in your radio. Even the 1 and 2 mfd caps were not polarized but could be replaced properly with polarized caps installed properly. I used Solen Fast caps which are non polarized but a little pricey. If the connections appear to be original on the parts in question and not changed I personally would just follow how it is. Philco was famous for making a lot of changes in a model chassis with time. If original connections, it no doubt worked!
Best, Jerry

Jerry,

Ok, that makes things easier but I've got 11 "condensers" as the manual calls them in table 5. 2 of them, part# 10, 11 on the schematic apparently have resistors inside them. What about all the rest? Oh, wait. The manual doesn't match the schematic again! There are 2 other identical condensers that do not have resistors in them according to table 5, but the schematic shows that they do. philco part #(3787-A)? Icon_crazy Is that possible? Trying to understand, as well as make a shopping list. I always thought a condenser had a resistor and a capacitor in it and a capacitor was only a capacitor.
As far as the B filter block goes, the manual says there was 8 caps. in there. Each one has a different DC voltage next to it (with the receiver turned on). I guess I try to get a replacement with the same mf and voltage rating but I'm also guessing I won't be able to find exact matches. How much higher(%) can or should you go with the mf and voltage ratings? I believe you don't ever want to go lower.

Sal

Condenser (old terminology) = capacitor (more modern terminology)

In other words, a condenser is a capacitor.

Not all Philco condensers (capacitors) necessarily have resistors inside. Some do, most do not. If they do, the service info will state that it is so.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. My service manual only shows 2 caps with resistors, both in table 5 and in the schematic in the manual. The large schematic Chuck sent with the manual shows part #'s 8 and 15 have resistors too. Even if I don't find resistors inside, should I go with what I find in the set, since it all looks original or is the large schematic a revised/ better one?

Sal

Sal, yes some of the philco tub caps (set filled with them) have a resistor inside. Just stuff them with a new resistor. They are usually good but after taking everything out of those little tubs, it is probably not. I believe they were wire wound. But what do I know? Just put in the proper resistor.
Best, Jerry