Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116xx pics/Now Here

Fred,

Do you use a conventional spray gun or an HVLP setup?

- Geoff

(01-08-2015, 09:46 PM)Geoff Wrote:  Fred,

Do you use a conventional spray gun or an HVLP setup?

- Geoff

HVLP Gravity feed

Finely all the work has paid off and this radio sounds as good as it looks, spend part of today getting the alignment done and putting back together. All short wave bands work great and am too. You know this isn't the best looking cabinet design especially if its roached out.  But when you turn back the clock and make it look like it did when is was brand new or close to it that SOB looks freakin nice. I put casters on it for easy moving. That thing is heavy. I made a new back cover for it and nows ready to PUMP out some GLENN MILLER or ARTIE SHAW OR DUKE ELLINGTON OR COUNT BASIE OR WOODIE HERMAN,TOMMY DORSEY MUSIC  you get the picture.  Thanks FRED TAYLOR                                  P.S. That's my electrical  man in picture Dick Morgan 50+ years working on these radios. He is one of the best in the buisness  .

Attached Files Image(s)

Beautiful... just absolutely beautiful!!!

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap
Outstanding!

Very nice Icon_thumbup Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

Fred I have been following your restored radios posts and have to say that you produce some very nice looking radios.
Makes me whish spring was here so I can get back to the cabinets I have waiting.

And I've asked before and you've provided some of the basics... but if you could lay out an exact, detailed, step-by-step procedure on how you obtain such a BEAUTIFUL finish we would all be very grateful.

- What do you use to strip your cabinets?
- What type of grain filler do you use? How many applications?
- What prep work do you do before spraying?
- Are you spraying in a spray booth or spraying in your garage?
- How many coats of lacquer do you use and what brand and type?
- What spray gun do you use?
- Detailed, step-by-step procedures.

(i.e. strip, grain fill, application of lacquers and toners, types of lacquers and toners, how you mix your lacquer, retarder, etc., etc., etc..)

I know it would be hard to quantify decades of experience in putting together such a procedure but your cabinet refinishing is by far some of the best I've ever seen and I've been in the hobby for 15 years. Passing on that knowledge will only benefit the hobby.

- Geoff

I will as soon as I can , I will have to put something together . It takes a lot of hands on to get where I am now. Wood refinishing for antique radios is a hobby. I have been painting cars for 25 years or so and there are a lot of different paint systems to choose from, I have painted rolls, Bentley, jaguar , Porsche, MB, Lexus, the most expensive cars sold today, I worked for a high end dealer ship here in Dallas and they have there own body paint shop, I was there for 14 + years and decided I had enough. Any way I use my skills on wood also . I use Mohawk stuff, once you find a refinish system that you like stick with that system. I will post what I know for you guys as time permits Fred Taylor

Great job on the radio!!! I have one and its a great sounding radio, just wish I had a back for mine.

(01-11-2015, 07:55 AM)PhilcoJohn Wrote:  Great job on the radio!!! I have one and its a great sounding radio, just wish I had a back for mine.
 The back on mine is home made, they  are not hard to make.

(01-08-2015, 11:46 AM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  Good info Fred. What brand of grain filler do you use?

Mowhawk

As we had two threads going on the same subject, they have been merged into one (this one).

From the Phorum Rules:

Quote:II. Multiple threads on the same subject not allowed.

When you start a thread, please keep the discussion within the same thread.

Example: "Philco 90 broken"

After you've started that thread, please do not start another thread on "Philco 90 bad resistor" if it is the same Philco 90 being discussed in the original thread. Give others a chance to respond to your questions rather than asking them again in a new thread - please be patient.

These sort of threads will be immediately deleted, to keep clutter to a minimum.

Please cooperate with me in keeping one thread in the same place rather than scattering it around.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4586

Thanks.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN