Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TWO 16b tombstones/ FINISHED!

I have to ask this. Is your chassis restoration guy related to Nucow? Those IF and RF transformer shields on the 4-band chassis should be bare aluminum, never painted. The same goes for the tube shields and multi-capacitor can on the 5-band chassis. Those were tin plated steel, not painted green. Icon_thumbdown It's OK to polish them to a nice shine but why paint them green when they were never painted that color from the factory?

Yup, nit-picking again. But those painted shields detract from an otherwise great looking chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I did the work on chassis Ron, Dick helps me with the hard stuff and likes to keep parts looking original also, may be I could remove the tube shields and have them tin plated . The aluminum  IF cans were pitted and i tried to polish but didn't look to good. So I sprayed them with  self etching , like a zinc chromate primer to protect from any more detereation  . Theirs a plating shop in town , im sure the cost to plate each tube shield would be expensive . Thanks for your input Ron.

You could paint the tube shields with Krylon Satin Nickel. No, it isn't original, but looks better than green...or aluminum spray paint Icon_thumbdown ...plus, Satin Nickel is conductive so a shield sprayed with Satin Nickel will still act as a shield. Icon_thumbup

What sort of polish did you try on the aluminum IF and RF transformers? Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish is wonderful stuff. Of course it won't work miracles, but some Mother's and a lot of elbow grease can make a big difference on aluminum coil shields and electrolytic cans.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I used a aluminum polish in stick form that is applied on a electric bench polishing wheel .  I works good if the metal isn't pitted, I guess I could have sanded out the pits and final wet sand with 1500 grit then re polish. Do you think with the paint on there will mess up the performance of the reception or sound quality ? The tube shields looked like dark olive drab color before I painted them, were those tin plated as well? If they were you mention polishing those , but arent  those steel with tin plating ? I made sure that everything that had been painted still had a good ground.

Kind of interested in the difference in power transformers between the two chassis.
Model run change or replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Green is wrong.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(06-01-2015, 01:47 PM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  Kind of interested in the difference in power transformers between the two chassis.
Model run change or replacement?

Thanks,

Mike

I didn't change no transformers, one is early model and the other is late model, you can a slight deference in the two cabinets, the late model is more rounded at the top.

(06-01-2015, 02:02 PM)morzh Wrote:  Green is wrong.

I said that a'ready. Icon_wink

Mike, what was it you were saying in another thread about friends being brutally honest about another's work? Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(06-01-2015, 01:47 PM)PhilcoMike Wrote:  Kind of interested in the difference in power transformers between the two chassis.

The 5-band 16 chassis uses a vertical mounting power transformer.

The 4-band 16, which came later, uses a horizontal mounting power transformer.

Both are correct for their respective chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, here it is small things. Fred does superb cabinet restorations. A little green thing here or there is correctable.
It is not like he placed a wrong size font decal on a cabinet and then layered it with several coats of lacquer Icon_lol The green will come off. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I went ahead and redone the shields and coil cans and they do look better than green and more original. The shields where painted and the cans where stripped and cleaned, and polished a little  Icon_think

Attached Files Image(s)

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Much better looking now.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Fred, one suggestion. Try to make the wires to the grid caps of the tubes as short as possible when you replace them. If the leads are left too long, you will get stray capacitive coupling between stages. This can result in oscillations, instability, alignment problems or hum pickup.

Aside from that minor point, a very nice restoration, especially considering the original condition.

Not sure if this is ok to post, but I offer silver zinc plating thru my business. Could these pieces be plated with this finish?? I'd be happy to trade occasional chassis work (I'm electronically challenged) for my plating services. My site is www.detailplating.com. If this isn't ok Ron, please delete my post.
Steve

Thanks Steve for the offer . Does look like nickel ? Good idea.