Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TWO 16b tombstones/ FINISHED!

I have repainted the shields for the 3rd time now and even look better than last time. I could not find the nickel paint from krylon on the second time and I used bright silver which looks very good but I bought some rustoleum  that the sheids really looks like they been plated. Check it out, what do you think Ron? Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think  It says metallic but there are no metallic flakes in the paint which is better, go figure Icon_question Its a solid color like plating would be, no metallic Icon_thumbup

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-07-2015, 07:57 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  I have repainted the shields for the 3rd time now and even look better than last time. I could not find the nickel paint from krylon on the second time and I used bright silver which looks very good but I bought some rustoleum  that the sheids really looks like they been plated. Check it out, what do you think Ron? Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think  It says metallic but there are no metallic flakes in the paint which is better, go figure Icon_question Its a solid color like plating would be, no metallic Icon_thumbup

Looks good Fred.  Is there another sticker on the can that describes exactly what "color" the paint is?

Crist

(06-07-2015, 08:34 PM)Crist Rigotti Wrote:  
(06-07-2015, 07:57 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  I have repainted the shields for the 3rd time now and even look better than last time. I could not find the nickel paint from krylon on the second time and I used bright silver which looks very good but I bought some rustoleum  that the sheids really looks like they been plated. Check it out, what do you think Ron? Icon_think Icon_think Icon_think  It says metallic but there are no metallic flakes in the paint which is better, go figure Icon_question Its a solid color like plating would be, no metallic Icon_thumbup

Looks good Fred.  Is there another sticker on the can that describes exactly what "color" the paint is?
I will look tomorrow, maybe on the lower side near bottom

Agree with Crist - looks good Icon_thumbup Probably the next best thing to plating, color-wise.

However, is this paint conductive?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The color of paint for the shields is called chrome , that's what rustoleum calls it. I don't know if its conductive but Dick Morgan states that as long as tube shield is grounded good it doesn't matter what kind of paint u use Icon_think

Thanks Fred. I'm going to get some of the stuff. The shields look great!

Crist

(06-08-2015, 06:25 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  The color of paint for the shields is called chrome , that's what rustoleum calls it. I don't know if its conductive but Dick Morgan states that as long as tube shield is grounded good it doesn't matter what kind of paint u use Icon_think

I'm pretty sure that's why you want conductive paint, so it will be grounded. Otherwise if it's not conductive it wont make electrical contact, unless you scrape off the paint at any points of contact.

(06-08-2015, 10:26 PM)Warren Wrote:  
(06-08-2015, 06:25 PM)Fred Taylor Wrote:  The color of paint for the shields is called chrome , that's what rustoleum calls it. I don't know if its conductive but Dick Morgan states that as long as tube shield is grounded good it doesn't matter what kind of paint u use Icon_think

I'm pretty sure that's why you want conductive paint, so it will be grounded. Otherwise if it's not conductive it wont make electrical contact, unless you scrape off the paint at any points of contact.
 That's what I did was remove some paint on bottom edge of shield, now I have a good ground

Finished today, I am pleased with the way they turned out, the late version 16b cabinet was basket case and has a little distortion  in the sound but plays good on all bands , I spent a lot of time on that one around 25 hours total cab and electric . The early 16b same way on cabinet (Basket) and the chassis was what I called roached out, meaning filthy and rusted. Compare before and after photo and you'll see Icon_eek what I mean, the sound on this one is great and performs well on all bands Icon_clap . This one took a little more time to do , so this will be the end of my story on these relics of the past. (May the force be with you) Icon_shh     Fred Taylor Icon_think                                                                                                                                                                                                 You probably see the deference in grill cloth and maybe Ron can clear this up. The radio on left has Kenny's cloth and radio on right has Radio Daze cloth Icon_wtf

Attached Files Image(s)

Well done Fred! Icon_clap Icon_clap

Crist

Looking good!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

looks great Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup
ssam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

The paint does not matter fir the shields as long ss you leave the internal base part bare so it connects to the chassis, the rest you can cover with latex based for all I care as long as you like it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(06-12-2015, 11:25 AM)morzh Wrote:  The paint does not matter fir the shields as long ss you leave the internal base part bare so it connects to the chassis, the rest you can cover with latex based for all I care as long as you like it.

I mentioned that already and you are right, as long there are grounded good.

Those sure are purty radios! Icon_lol

A minor point:  I thought the knobs on the earlier and later versions were different.