Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Did it again...It's Ron's fault>>>>>>>

Nothing exciting, but here are a few pics. It arrived without a scratch. This seller is someone who listened, and cared about how it arrived. A+ for this gent! The cabinet needs refinishing, but the structure is in excellent shape. The chassis is rust free, but very dusty. It even came with my favorite bar knob for the bandswitch Icon_wink
[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/78634-1/116b1.JPG]

[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/78636-1/116b2.JPG]

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Congrats Brian! That is definately a very nice Philco!! Thanks for the photo! Looks like you already removed the orig spkr to inspect it also. Bet you will have that radio playin like new in no time at all !! Icon_wink

Thanks Randal. A few others have been asking if it's operating yet. Guess if I can do anything, it's Philco cap blocks. I can zip through those like a race. Just need to get into the right mindset, flip my cap. Away I go Icon_lol

The cabinet is shipping off to Barry Sunday, who's Ron's cabinet man. I like his work.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones

Brian,

It looks like it will be a nice one, once restored. I suspect the speaker was removed in shipping? What other precautions did you ask him to take, so as to prevent shipping damage?

Ed

Ed, here's how I do it. Very similar to Ron, who's instructions I've followed also. In fact, I believe he posted a detailed instruction thread on this at some point. Anyhow, instruct the seller to use a properly sized double sided box. They can get this at U-Haul along with the packing material and bubble wrap. STAY AWAY FROM THE UPS STORE!. I've found their packing, material, boxes and even tape is WAY out of line in cost. Also, you don't want those pumpkin heads packing the actual radio. Make sure you INSIST upon this. Anyone with half a brain or who cares about their item will listen.

Now, have them remove the speaker. (NOTE, speakers on 37 or 38 series models cannot be removed easily, no plug), have them make sure the chassis is securely bolted to the cabinet. Make sure all tubes are tight. Then have them CAREFULLY stuff the inside of the cabinet with bubble wrap, being careful not to "ram" it in. This can cause a tube grid wire to pull away or bend the shadow meter. Again, the seller needs to use common sense. Now, you want the radio triple wrapped in bubble wrap. Top, bottom, sides. BTW, leave the knobs on. This keeps the shafts from poking through the box.

Next, pack the radio with a minimum of 2" on any side, top or bottom. 3" is better, but with the radio wrapped, it may be hard finding a double sided box in those dimensions. Then, use packing peanuts. They need to obviously be placed at the bottom of the box prior to the radio being dropped in. They need to completely pack the sides, then the top. Over fill the top so the box top needs to be pushed down in order to properly close it. This keeps things tight, prevents moving around in the box as the radio settles during shipping.

I then have them find a box the same size as the speaker. This part is easy. I have them cut several pieces of thick cardboard to lay on the bottom. This is where the speaker cone will face. Then tightly pack around the speaker with bubble wrap, close it up.

Last, they need to CLEARLY mark the radio package FRAGILE, also I have them mark and place stickers with THIS END UP arrows. This may get a little pricey. But, I want the radio to arrive in one piece. I didn't buy it for fire wood! It can't be replaced! It's a high end set, not a 1950s AA5. That's how I view it.

I have a perfectly destroyed 116B example from poor packing. To boot, this came from a known collector who "yeah yeah yeah'd" me about packing and shipping. The speaker tore away, destroying the speaker grill area, taking out several tubes. Bending the shadow meter mount, etc. etc. etc. The cabinet was flopping around inside the flimsy box. When I told him what happened, his reply was. Well, what do you want from me! That said everything about this particular gent I'll ever need to know. Icon_mad

Last, make sure they ship only FedEx or UPS. FedEx is my preferred shipper. Trouble with them is, once a carton goes over a certain size, the price doubles. Obviously, you don't have to do this with every type of radio. I do this with mid 30s Philco tombstone sets. I find the 35/36 cabinets a little flimsy compared to the 37/38 cabinets. Plus their astronomical weight and HUGE speakers don't help. I do follow the basics with any radio when it comes to shipping. Cabinet needs to be tight. Speaker needs to be tight.The cabinet needs to be properly wrapped and protected with a good strong box. Not some flimsy toaster box. Common sense is all that is needed. That's asking plenty with some people. Icon_confused

-Brian

That is very good info. Thank you.

Ed

You al;ready know that I don't hold any record for 116's, and I am sure that none other will come along. But, I can see nuttin' wrong with having a "spare" hanging around. BTW, BRIAN, I notice that the grille cloth on that 116 looks pretty sick (and a bad substitute). I'll need to check, but there might be a piece of the herringbone stuff laying hereabouts.

Doug, this cabinet has been sent off for refinishing. That dishrag of a grill cloth will see other days Icon_wink

-Brian