Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

When it rains, it pours...maybe I need help.

It looks exactly like this one except the Photofinish on mine is nearly pristine. I'm kind of fascinated with it. The fit and finish of the design is nicely done, and it has the most unique push button scheme I've ever seen. The push buttons are entirely mechanical...no separate coils for each button at all. In fact the buttons simply act as adjustable levers to physically move the tuning cap to a point you set by adjusting a set screw. The tuning knob has a cotter pin looking pin behind the chassis mount that locks it to the tuning cap or disengages it from the tuning cap. So, to use the push buttons, you throw the tuning knob out, then the lack of drag from the tuning knob allows the mechanical push buttons to press against the tuning cap cam and turn it to the desired station.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_61c.html

Charlie in San Antonio

I agree with you Charlie, it is a 61C. Apparently there are no more old radios to be found in Michigan, they have moved to Texas. Great buy!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

I opened up the Philco 610 to take a look tonight, and under all of the dust and dead spiders seems to be a relatively untouched jewel! I don't imagine that Gudemann capacitor is installed at the Philco plant, but I really can't see any soldering that doesn't look factory-made, and the power transformer has respectable homage on the primary and the secondary, as do the choke, the two section wire-wound tubular resistor, the output transformer, and the field coil. I wouldn't be surprised if I could put a new power cord on it and turn it on...of course, I won't. But I may just look at its dusty beauty for a while.
I think the cabinet might just need the Gojo treatment followed by some scratch doctoring. The Grille cloth has some separation starting up in the area over the speaker opening. It isn't actually separated, yet. I wonder if I could place some kind of backing over the separation to keep it intact.
It has a home-made antenna, though...at least I assume its homemade. I can't imagine Philco letting that antenna out of the factory. Any pictures of the original antenna out there?
And the tubes all test good on my Triplett 2413.

Charlie in San Antonio