Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gojo question

I have had these issues with GoJo but as it evaporates my darker areas became light agin. Even a heat gun can help in some instances to speed up the process. Just dont burn the finish..

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks Kirk for posting this. Your cabinet work influences. I have tried to use Novus for my bakelite and Old English for my wood in a tepid way because I am still a touch intimidated. Yet GoJo's quality is excellent. Can you tell me any differences between Novus and GoJo?

Ian M. Gordon
NEARC
HARPS
NJARC

Gojo is a cleaner.. Novus is only a polish as far as I know.
Gojo will remove all the crud and leave a nice clean finish once dried.
Novus would be the next step to finishing the cabinet... If the finish is good then you can apply the Novus polish accordingly. This will seal and protect the prepared finish. I dont use Novus really, I use plain old Johnsons paste wax on my radio cabinets and lots of elbow grease.
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Kirk,
  Do you ever have a problem with steel wool fibres being caught in the wood and rusting later? I had read that caution somewhere regarding wood finishing years ago.  I never was crazy about steel wool because of the way it can grap a split and cause a tear out.
                                        Henry

If that happens, the person is trying to save a really poor finish...
Sounds like carelessness to me...
I go over everything after each step. Why someone would wool the cabinet and not wipe down, check problem areas or have repaired the issues before working on it is beyond me. It should not be a problem if you take the time to do it right.
Kirk

As of 1/01/2021

Ian, you should note there are three grades of NOVUS: 1, 2, and 3. 

#1 is to clean and shine plastic (no abrasives)

#2 is a fine scratch remover to remove fine scratches, haziness and abrasions from most plastics.

#3 removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces.

https://www.novuspolish.com/products.html

NOVUS is geared toward plastic type surfaces and I have never used it on wood.  However I see no reason Gojo could not be used on plastics as a cleaner to remove years of built up grime.

On wood you would typically clean it with Gojo (white not orange!), let it dry a few days, then apply Old English or Howard's, and then finish with a good paste wax.  Eventually, as you become more comfortable, you might want to experiment with wood stains instead Old English/Howards for a more lasting scratch cover.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Gojo seems to be a great scratch cover IMHO.

It loosens the crud and actually colors the scratches to match.
I rarely need scratch cover if I GoJo..

GoJo only on this scratch...

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

I don't have any pictures handy, but my limited experience with GoJo is like Kirks. It does a great job blending scratches!

Gojo does initially hide scratches due to the lanolin and other ingredients used to make your hands soft, but I have found that after it dries a few days all those oils evaporate and I'm left with a clean cabinet with most scratches visible again.  Maybe if you apply paste wax soon enough it delays that process.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

So far I have only used GoJO once on a cabinet but I was impressed with the results. I did not apply it with steel wool.  I used a heavy duty papertowel .
                                    Henry