Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Big, Bad*s*, and ugly 660L

Hi Terry! You probably know this, but assuming your shadow meter is physically sound it is definitely possible to rewind shadow meter coils - I recently did that for a 660X. The #40 wire is a pain to work with but not impossible. The tricky bit is soldering that really fine wire to a large wire and securing it mechanically.

I think that's the same size wire that is used on stereo headphone cables! Ever try to solder those????
Am working on the coil as we type. Have a large spool of 40 myself I mean who doesn't!!!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So you used 40ga wire, How many ohms did you end up with at the end?? Rewound it and my wrist is killing me!!!!!!! Surprisingly easy just takes a good pair of glasses and concentration.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Now who woulda thought that this much wire wound fit on that little spool??

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Mine came out to ~1000 ohms.

Wow - you wound it by hand?! Icon_eek
Now that's dedication!

I used a drill connected to a variac to keep the speed low. I mounted the bobbin on a bolt to attach it to the drill and then let it feed off of the spool of 40ga. I still had to guide the wire by hand to keep the winding even.

Yours came out nice - and has extra value since it is hand-made. Icon_smile

Wow - you wound it by hand?! [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_eek.gif]

Now that's dedication! 

Nah just want to see if anyone is awake. Used a drill.
Mine ended up at 1562 ohms. Need to make a spacer to lift the coil up just a little hair so I can insulate the wire loop terminals.
Found a sm with a good coil but was low in resistance abt 900 ohms. Tried it and couldn't get much movement only about 1/8". Check current and swung from 10ma weak signal to 4.5ma strong signal. Maybe it has some shorted turns. Has the long skinny coil so I'm thinking it would be a little more tricky to wind, has a flat core/ bobbin.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Heh. You got me. Icon_smile

I think the difference in resistance might be because I left a bit more space on the spool - my thinking was that the original had some space filled with tape layers.

I fastened the large wires in a similar fashion - and also had to insulate from the metal case of the shadowmeter.

After trying to reassemble it I found two things: vane was stiff (wasn't before) and my twisty wire terminals didn't work so well (coil wire from the inside broke). So had to do some rethinking. Found some 2-56 screw/nuts from an old Command transmitter. These fit very nicely in the holes in the sm, add a little solder and now I have stationary terminals.

Adjusted the pivot tension on the vane and it seems ok. Vane has some white corrosion on it but I don't think I can get in cleaned up w/out breaking it.

Onward to reassembly! Again.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I guess I should quit being annoyance on the phorum and get back to the 660. Got the sm back together and working. Had to modify the coil coil cover a little to accommodate new terminals. After doing some minor repairs it was ready to go back into the cabinet.

SO unless your Atlas the cabinet has to be placed on the floor w/ the outside back facing the floor. Trying to lift and hold the chassis vertically while installing the long mounting screws in difficult. Got it in and bolted up and the same w/the spkr. Plays swell!!!! Sounds good.

Only one problem can't see the sm. You see there two sets of screw holes that would accommodate sm, guess which ones I picked  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...edface.gif]   Not sure if I can get in there without removing the spkr and chassis, but I think I know the answer  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_mad.gif]

It's been playing for a hour or so picking up my little converter (converts audio to rf signal) which receives it's audio signal  from the net.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

(06-18-2016, 07:36 PM)Nathan Slingerland Wrote:  Awesome radio! Looks like you'll have lots of fun.

Yeah I had soooo much fun I could hardly stand it!!!!!  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi..._crazy.gif]

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah somehow I really enjoy the process - and the satisfaction when they're playing well again. It's probably a different kind of fun - more like solving a puzzle. Some are just tougher to crack than others. Icon_smile

Nice job getting this guy running well - and a neat model to boot.

Nathan SlingerlandYeah somehow I really enjoy the process - and the satisfaction when they're playing well again. It's probably a different kind of fun - more like solving a puzzle. Some are just tougher to crack than others. Icon_smile

Nice job getting this guy running well - and a neat model to boot.

I was being a little tongue in cheek. 
I enjoy the process too. Keeps my old brain percolating. I like to figure things out, like how they work.
Last week my 19yr old daughter was here and she saw me working on it and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was solving an unsolvable problem. That was right after I had install the replacement osc transformer and thing weren't much better than before.
Has been on for about 5hrs now and hasn't set the house ablaze yet.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

You're doing a great job as always, Terry. Don't forget "after" pictures! Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_wave

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup
Glad you got it solved!!

Tnx Guys!

I pull it back out to figure out why the sm was misaligned to find that the mounting bracket was bent in such a fashion that it was aimed way above in dial escutcheon. Also lubed the door hinge assembly. The door is slightly out of kilter which in to makes it difficult to open. The screws in the hinge are countersunk so I can't really manipulate the door position so I ended up sanding it just a little. Now the clearance is pretty good but I think the spring that flips it open over the yrs has lost a little tension. There is an adjustment for it but it in a tough place to get to.

I think the latch may play a part in the door opening as it needs to give it a little shove to start it in motion. When it's shut the spring mechanism that opens it sort of locks, once the door starts to move upward it passes lock position it opens fine.

Got a call from my daughter saying that she is coming over later from school so I wanted to get the set back in one piece and out of the living room floor. It makes traversing to the kitchen difficult.

Did a little research to find the seller I bought it form back in '13 from ebay. I sent Mike a short note saying that it's up and running. Out of deference to him I tuned in the Boston (that's where the set came from) flamethrower WBZ for a few hours. They have a good strong signal here.

For now I'm putting to rest for now will see about the cabinet work in the spring. Yeah it still needs some minor things some rubber mounts for the spkr board and a bottom cover for the chassis (have the parts to make that some old skool perf aluminum) and maybe recone the spkr. Oh I did notice something different about it it has black knobs rather than the dark brown.

This is where it started:  
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...light=660l

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry