Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 16B restoration

Mike

On the band switch (question 2)...could be mechanical alignment. That switch operates the dial lamp via a mechanical arrangement that makes the lamp go up and down. If it isn't adjusted correctly, it could prevent you from being able to switch through all five bands.

I've had some 5-band Model 16 chassis that crossed my bench in the past that would hit the bottom when I attempted to switch to band 1 (AM or standard broadcast). A minor adjustment cured the trouble. There is a gear held onto the band switch shaft with a set screw; this gear makes contact with a straight, serrated strip that is connected to the dial lamp assembly. The assembly rides up and down on this strip. Anyway, if you loosen the set screw and adjust things, it should go through all five positions. You may have to remove the lamp assembly with the strip and re-position it so that the gear properly meshes and allows you to select all five positions.

It takes more words for me to describe this than it will take you to figure out and adjust, believe me.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Maybe the 80 tube has ,,,something to do with the HUM ???? though I read something about heater in the tube???

Ron

Yes, the gear I know and it seems fine not hitting the bottom, it is fairly simple- rack and pinion type.
And I just went and counted the stops- 4 of them so it is 5 positions after all Icon_smile

Now what can I do with the hum. Short of introducing the grounded cord. Which I can but it'll look unnatural, and then it is supposed to work without it.

Looking at 16 of the later builds, it gain an additional stage, remaining an 11 tube radio. No AVC tube but an extra RF amp.

Speaking of AVC, how does it get set up? I mean the procedure to set the potentiometer for AVC? Mine only works at the very end and otherwise shuts down the reception.

PS. Speaking of hum, I just turned on the same 16 I have ftom John Hagman. No hum. Or at least not such a strong one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well, so I defeated the hum. The reason was, the backelite block #90 that is 2 Y-caps from both AC lines to the chassis was missing the GND connection. In its turn it was because the insulating base of the soldering post that unites an incoming AC wire with the transformer lead was over the GND lug and it should go under.
Fixed, no hum no more, especially when plugged directly to the wall outlet and not through an isolating transformer, for which a little hum remains, quite normal, all my radios do that.

Woo-hoo!

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Great trouble shooting work. Icon_clap  Glad you got it fixed.

Awesome job!

Well, a couple of days ago Dee sent me the shadowgraph back.
Mine even after rewinding had some mechanical trouble, so he gave me one from one of his colleagues, that had a good winding and also some mechanical trouble he could repair.
Today I installed it. It works, though not awfully sensitive and a bit skewed to one side.
It could possibly have weak magnets.
It does react to a very strong station, but not as strongly as the one I have in 18 and 118.
And in the turn-on it does become really narrow. So maybe not the magnets.

I don't know if I want to get inside it: what if the tabs start to break off after being bent before.
Anyways, this was the last thing I had to do before alignment which I am planning to do tomorrow.

There it is.

So today I thought of how to drill a neat hole through the veneer, as the switch hole got veneered over. I have very little woodworking experience, so I figured a spade bit with tipped cutting edges would do the job. Which it did very well, no veneer edge breakage etc. Just drilled a pilot hole first and then used the bit.

Now need to glue the grill cloth.

Will meke it a separate topic.

Nice work Mike. Icon_thumbup You had a lot of challenges on this one.

Thanks Mike,

Yep.... I've been tested Icon_smile But not too badly.

A snag: while assembling the radio I realized I am missing the escutcheon. I put all parts together in one bag and it wasn't there. I don't know what could've happened, I hate to think that the box it was in and which I tossed last weak when I took everything from it, consealed it in one of its creases, thoughI did inspect it for stuck things before throwing into recycling bunch.

Long story short, I will need another escutcheon. Which is what my next post will be about.

(12-03-2016, 03:21 PM)morzh Wrote:  A snag: while assembling the radio I realized I am missing the escutcheon. I put all parts together in one bag and it wasn't there. I don't know what could've happened, I hate to think that the box it was in and which I tossed last weak when I took everything from it, consealed it in one of its creases, thoughI did inspect it for stuck things before throwing into recycling bunch.

Long story short, I will need another escutcheon. Which is what my next post will be about.

I hate when that happens!!!!! I lost the leg off of the 16TRX chairside. I even sent the seller a note asking if by chance we missed when I bought it but he didn't have it (the set was apart when I got it) But last month I found it in a plastic grocery bag under a bunch of stuff in the back room!

I think RR makes some escutcheons maybe you'll get lucky.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

No I looked. They have none for the 16.

Ed called back.
He said he had a mold he acquired from someone he wasn't sure what radio for, so I sent him the close-up pic of my other 16 and he said that mold was for 16B cathedral.
He said the mold seems to be in good shape so he would try to make one and send it to me.

Well, we'll see what comes out of it.