Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-1209

Ok, Will do. I did not want to do that because I was not sure about the rest of the wiring yet. But If the Rectifier tube is not in then everything is isolated I assume....

I will try that next..

Thanks

Skip...

Ok, Hooked up my Variac to input of transformer.. Measured YEL-YEL on the 5Y3gt tube ( tube was not in place)

At 30 volts in Output was 190 VAC
50 volts in Output was 304 VAC
60 volts in Output was 370 VAC
115 volts in Output was 710 VAC Current draw was 250MA

This is NO LOAD .. Using a Fluke 77 multimeter..

Transformer cool to touch.. Is this in ballpark?

Skip...

Ok, Continuing: Measured the resistance on the Output Transformer...

[Image: http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/...fxmide.jpg]

Blu-Wht 527 Ohms
Blu-Org 246 Ohms
Wht-Org 281 Ohms

Blk-Grn .4 Ohms Slightly high But The VC and BC weren't hooked up either..

A lot closer so I think its OK..

Skip...

(11-05-2016, 05:34 PM)vecher Wrote:  Ok, Hooked up my Variac to input of transformer.. Measured YEL-YEL on the 5Y3gt tube ( tube was not in place)

At 30 volts in Output was  190 VAC
   50 volts in Output was  304 VAC
   60 volts in Output was  370 VAC
  115 volts in Output was  710 VAC   Current draw was 250MA

This is NO LOAD .. Using a Fluke 77 multimeter..

Transformer cool to touch.. Is this in ballpark?

Skip...

Hey Skip,
I'm a bit of a daredevil when I check out a pt. I look for leaking wax, burnt smell, and physical damage to paper and winding. If I don't find any of these signs I pull the rectifier and let her rip. Check AC voltage from plate to plate of the rectifier. If voltage seems ok then I let it run for a bit and check for heating. If cool then all so kewl. Tipically what fails is the HV winding sometimes the primary. THe filament winding are pretty tough except on Valiant for the 866's.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, Ok thanks I let it run for a while.. Transformer cool..

So I assume all is OK.. So on to replacing the Caps. and rebuilding the Backlite block.. I have never done that before so should be interesting.. I need to get some caps for that though..

Skip..

By '46 Philco had just about done away with using the bakelite blocks. There last hurah was as the line bypass cap. Sets from the 30's have a bunch like 90 percent of the cap under the chassis.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yup, There is only one in this radio. Its on the AC input to Transformer.. Uses 2 .01 caps to ground between the AC inputs.
I was looking at how to clean them out.. Doesn't seem to hard. I have a heat gun to soften them up..

New learning experience for me..

I need to order some more caps and resistors.. I noticed that this radio uses I think a lot of 1/4 watt resistors.. Only a few 1/2 watt.. But I plan on using 1/2 watt to replace any 1/4 watt that might be out of spec..

Skip...

those bakelite blocks are pretty easy. morzh has a thread on it at this LINK. I usually desolder them, take them out and heat with a hair dryer for a couple minutes and then push the guts out with a stiff wire or small allen wrench. Be sure to clip the small wires coming through the holes in the blocks. Older blocks have the wires just coming through the hole and its easy to cut. Newer blocks had the holes soldered shut so you have to work at it a bit more.

Ok Thanks for the link and advice.. I will look at link today..

Where do you guys order the caps for the replacement?

They are special caps for then AC line I think?

Skip...

I buy mine from Just Radios but Mouser sells them too. You want Y2 0.01uF safety caps. Just Radios has a blurb on ABCs of safety caps.

Great, Ok thanks for the info.. I will take a look. Need to order stuff tomorrow..

Thanks
Skip...

Ok, Found 2 more problems.. The Volume control and the Tone control.. But after a good cleaning they seem to be working correctly now..

Still waiting on my order from Just radios. But looks like now my stock of .01 Caps are low. This radio has about 8 .01's in it and I only have 4 left.. So now I have to order more..But I have to order 20.00 worth due to the min order requirements.. What a PITA.,...

Oh and this radio has some .006 Caps in it.. What value do you use for those.. Are .0047 's OK for that??

It seems that it always something..

Well enough complaining..

Skip...

Skip if you just plan on ordering some more .01s. I don't think mouser has a min. purchase.

Capacitor world offers $3 flat shipping and no minimum order: http://www.capacitorworld.net

I've ordered from both Just Radios and Capacitor World. I prefer Just Radios - primarily because they stock hard to find values - even though it's not strictly necessary - and also have tubular film capacitors (Capacitor World only has radial film caps). I try to err on the side of more capacitance so in the case of 0.006 I'd go to the next standard size (.0068 ). Most film and electrolytic capacitors have a pretty high tolerance (10-20%) so using something close should be fine. Mica capacitors are much tighter in tolerance (5% or less) so those need to be closer.

Ok, Thanks for the info..

Question.. What is difference between all these Caps.. IF any difference and what do you use?

Metalized Polypropylene Film
Metallized Polyester Film "Orange Dips"
Polyester Film "Green Dips"
Metallized Polypropylene Film Capacitors ( brown) from Capacitor World
Brown Dips ??

I used to use the Orange Drops but now the Caps I used are yellow?? Ordered from Vacuum Tubes INC polypropylene metalized film capacitors , But they have a 20.00 Minimum

Are all the same ?

It probably doesn't matter what color they are??

Skip...