Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-93.....so far

Re-wired the transformer. I stole the top clamshell from my parts radio because the original was in pretty bad shape, all of the identification was rusted away.

Finally finished with the caps and resistors under the chassis and installed the transformer. Now it’s time to move on to the I.F. transformers.

#23 (highlighted on schematic) was a big Bakelite resistor originally. On the parts radio that I have, that same one is a big wire wound resistor (photo).  I have a 37-62 that is similar electronically, and it had a big wire wound resistor as well. 

Does anyone know why these big resistors were installed? I put one back because that’s what was there, but would like to know why it was there to begin with….for educational purposes. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Attached Files Image(s)

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." — Winston Churchill

These wirewound resistors were there due to the power dissipation demands.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

10-4, Thank you.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." — Winston Churchill

As everyone has already said...Great Job! Icon_clap

Thank you Sir.

I decided to try to rewind the #1, if I messed it up too bad I could rob the one off of the parts chassis.
Miracle of miracles...it works! It felt so good that I rewound #2 as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

those rewinds look great! so how did you do them? I have an IF coil that could do with a rewind but was reluctant to give it a try.

thanks!

I made a jig with a piece of shaft out of an old HP printer and some Teflon washers. I wound them by hand and waxed them as I went. I will post some pictures of jig tomorrow when I get back to work. I can't figure out how to resize them on my phone.
And thanks for the tip.  Icon_biggrin

I didn't take any photos of the actual process, but at some point I need to rewind the original Osc. that came off of this chassis. So I can document it then, if anyone is interested.
The ring is just a piece of photo paper cut the width of the original coil.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's alive! Icon_clap But I'm probably going to need some help aligning it.
I'll mount the dial scale this evening.

Kelly

Attached Files Image(s)

Hat's off to you!
Especially considering what you started from.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thank you Sir.

Beautiful job. Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Thanks Mike.

I finally got this thing aligned.  Icon_biggrin  I had it sounding more like a busted Evinrude than a radio. And I somehow fried my $9 frequency counter in the process. But now all my locals are where they are supposed to be, nice and clear.
The only thing is the bandwidth is extremely narrow, if you just look at it wrong it will slip off of the station. I guess it needs to be tweeked but it took me so long to get it here I'm afraid to mess with it too much.

Attached Files Image(s)