Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 296 Model H Speaker Question

Please forgive my ignorance in advance. I have picked up a Philco 296 which I am in the earliest stages of learning to restore. The first and most obvious problem is the speaker is trashed. The paper is gone and the center voice coil is trashed. The speaker is a Model H, but can it be replaced with another Model? I have learned that the Model H is a 3200 Ohm speak operating at 40ma.(I think...) Is there another Philco speaker that I can replace this one. I see a Model G on EBAY with the same plug, but I am not sure if this would work. I have much to learn. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help.

Frank

Hi Frank and welcome,
Have a look here   http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=215  Find spk zip and click on it. There you will find specs for all of the Philco speakers. Looks like there are 4 or 5 that use the same cone/voice coil assembly including the G and H models.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Thank you so much! I will go ahead and order the Model G and see where I am at. This will at least get me going. It may need to be re-coned and cleaned up, but perhaps this will at least get some sound.  The chassis is dirty but it looks like it has been recapped a long time ago and serviced several times over the years based upon on the dates and signatures. I have power to all the tubes so one step at a time. Thank you again and I may be back with several more questions.  Icon_wtf

Thank you for having me. I am glad that I found this forum. I not afraid to learn, but I will admit that I am walking in the woods blind at this point. lol

Have patience and you will be rewarded Icon_smile

Welcome.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Terry and Mike will get you through it, have no fear. If you're an ace at reading schematics you're better off than I was a few months ago.

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."