Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Calling it quits for now.

Never give-up on vintage hi-fi guys! I am hauling in a few PU/bed loads of vintage tube type gear that has been stored for several yrs in a leaky-roof storage shed , "leftovers" from a closed down local Radio shop that operated from the mid 1930s- mid 70s. This old inventory is mostly old theatre-amps, vintage hi-fi,broadcast gear,etc. So far, I havent found any really "high-end" gear except for a few pcs of vintage Mc Intosh C-8 units, & vintage Altec rackmount tube type amps & amp/comp/limiters used yrs ago in theatres. I also have some vintage Gates broadcast equip as well as Western-Electric, Webster Elec, Rauland,RCA,Seeburg, Hammond,& some etc orig type vintage 2A3 type gear. Most of the vintage Pwr Trans, chokes, etc I have tested are still good so far. Several pcs of vintage brand type tube "kit" Heaths, & Knight small mono-block amps/preamps, 1 pc Leak preamp,& other vintage test equip in the mix also. Found a early 30s era small Philco sig-tracer also. Most all this inventory looks horrible, due to age & damp storage conditions all those yrs past. Unfortunately, no chrome-chassis Mc Intosh vintage gear found yet! Im still going thru the shed before the "yellowjackets" move back in after winter. This equip was given to me for haul-off and to find a new welcome home. I havent removed the larger heavy-steel cased rack-chassis type items yet. This inventory was stored previously by a older tube-tech that worked at the Radio repair shop many yrs ago. Never give up, sometimes vintage inventory finds you locally thru word of mouth! Most old tube-service techs are glad to know that someone will take all these items, and appreciate them.Yield, if nothing else, still good orig Peerless type trans, vintage AC trans, tube sockets, etc! Icon_wink

I never call it quits when I stop working on something. I might run out of parts, need to move stuff for cleaning, whatever... But I do pick it back up again. My Philco 20 console got moved behind my 300B project, but as I need a couple of transformers now for the amp the Philco just got moved back to the front. Now to find that darned rotary on-off switch I took out for some unknown reason.
When I was buying stereo gear in the late 70s I bought Pioneer, partly due to the long haired salesdude telling me that Marantz was "good for the price of great". But I can imagine the same thing was said 4 decades earlier about RCA, Zenith, Philco, etc. My radios have their own personalities, but they're all good. And I really miss that Pioneer SX-1080 receiver.
Ron, have you gotten another Chevy TF PU? Mine's behind my tube hobby on the priority scale.

Dave
Colo Spgs

Hi Dave

No, I have not acquired another Task-Force Chevy...but who knows, maybe one of these days I will! I would like to have another...next time though, I would prefer a 1956 or 57 model with original "three on the tree" setup.

For those of you that do not know what we are talking about, the Task-Force series of Chevrolet trucks were manufactured from mid-season 1955 through the 1959 model year. Here are a couple pictures of the truck I used to own, both circa 1998:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...8chev1.jpg]

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...58back.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Nice '58 there Ron. I "met" you on the oletrucks list about a dozen yrs ago. I remember Mr Philco from your signature. Then when I found a model 20 cathedral in an antiques mall I started looking online for info on it around the same time. The 20 was my second radio, and after doing a RCA 19K it was pretty simple. I'm working on a 20 console now, I've drilled out the filter caps in both of them and replaced the guts with dry caps. Hopefully they'll last a while, I haven't heard of plastic caps drying out. Time will tell.
The Boss decided I'd put enough cash into my '57 a while back, so it sits in the garage. I'm hoping I can get it up to my own standards someday, probably after my 2 clowns leave for college. The original radio was a hulk when I got it, and wouldn't fit after installing A/C. I salvaged the dial to fill the hole in the dash and backlit it with LEDs.
Here's hoping you can get another TF truck. Lots more fun than driving a cookie cutter import.
Dave '57 3100 350/700R4/9"/TCI IFS/PS/PB/AC/WireWorks/etc.

Dave
Colo Spgs

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Hi Dave

No, I have not acquired another Task-Force Chevy...but who knows, maybe one of these days I will! I would like to have another...next time though, I would prefer a 1956 or 57 model with original "three on the tree" setup.

For those of you that do not know what we are talking about, the Task-Force series of Chevrolet trucks were manufactured from mid-season 1955 through the 1959 model year. Here are a couple pictures of the truck I used to own, both circa 1998:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...8chev1.jpg]

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...58back.jpg]
I have a brother born in 1958 and another born in 1959. Since I was a kid I always wanted a 1959 Chevy Apache. I first ended up with a 1958 Ford truck. It was awesome. But not nearly as awesome as my 1954 Chevy truck or my 1947 Chevy truck. I restored them both and they had every original accessory imaginable, including the original radio, visor with traffic light viewer, unison seat and so on. Also, I said quitting for "now", but I still keep eying that old Philco model 70. Thanks for the photos of the Chevy Ron. Nice truck!

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong