Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-610 tombstone restoration

The reference

Attached Files Image(s)

No thing inside

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Jeepeto
If you look back to your post #13 you'll see that same cap block with a small Sprague cap solder across two of the block's terminals. This Sprague cap wouldn't fit inside the block so it was soldered to the outside to replace the one on the inside (the missing one).
GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi Terry, yes I think the same, I was surprised that someone before did the dirty job Icon_smile now I am about to buy new grommets for the tunning unit and make a Test with a variac, any recomendations with it? Should install a fuse in the main power cord just in case?

Now I am waiting for some grommets and spares from USA I am doing the cabinet, I found a paint or some kind of protection that was applied only inside and in the bottom grille that has a silver particles, what it is? Also I printed my own stickers, for the faux finish I tried to paint and shade with tonner, not exactly the old finish but still I like it

Attached Files Image(s)

The refinish

Attached Files Image(s)

The speaker cardboard in bad shape was redone

Attached Files Image(s)

> Should install a fuse in the main power cord just in case? 

Not a bad idea. Probably the easiest and non intrusive is to use a fuse that has pigtails (wires pre soldered onto the ends). You can slip the piece of shrink tubing over it to insulate it.  About 1 amp should do the trick.

The cabinet looks great!!!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the tip, one question about the tubes, I have been cleaning the old tubes and I discovered a 6V6GT instead I think of the 6F6G, I searched characteristics and some values are slightly off like heater current (0.45a vs 0.7a) I did not see any change for that, will work fine or is best to find a 6F6G?
Cheers

There's a slight difference between the two but the 6V6 has less heater current (good) and higher mu (good). I'd leave the 6V6 in place.

GL and good job!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you for the good news! I was worried but if is a good substitute then will stay in place. Another thing is the dial bulb, it was not installed, I found a #51 inside the cabinet, is correct? Where is conected the wire for it? Was cut..

Also any source for 7 and a half inch speaker cones? Should I repair this one or try to trim an 8" cone?

Attached Files Image(s)

<Another thing is the dial bulb, it was not installed, I found a #51 inside the cabinet, is correct? Where is connected the wire for it?

Best guess is that it was a #44 bulb BUT your are saving a few hundred ma by using the 6V6 vs the 6F6 so your ok w/the 51 it's only 20ma more. The wire would have come from any of the ungrounded filament pin EXCEPT FOR THE 80 TUBE!

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I think that finding a 7 1/2" is going to be difficult with that being said the 8" are much more common. I've cut them down with a problem. The problem is that most have a foam roll close to the outside edge which can interfere with the spkr mounting. The spkr can be mounted using some spacers to accommodate the foam. The good thing is here in the States these replacement cones are very inexpensive like .79c ea.
http://www.electronix.com/speaker-replac...13892.html

This maybe be helpful: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17459

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks a lot both! I have te old speaker mounting, I can use it to make a spacer for accomodate the foamy cone, I will buy some at that price just in case, hope could make more trips to the states like before and fill my luggageIcon_smile