Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 14 LZX resfinish

Hi folks - chimeing in as I heard my name Icon_smile

The picture shows a hole pattern exactly the same as I tried to reproduce. This I did from a picture on the net, scaling to get hole size and spacing.

I estimated holes are 1-3/8, spaced at 2". Top row is 10 holes, next down is 8. The whole pattern, top to bottom goes:

10, 8, 10, 8, 10, then again 10, 8, 10, 8 10.

Hope that is helpful,

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

(04-14-2018, 10:00 AM)gregb Wrote:  I am recovering from knee replacement surgery...

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, its coming along just fine and I am just starting to walk unassisted. Its been a long slow recovery and not a whole lot of fun but everyone I have talked to that has had this done say its worth all the trouble, fingers crossed!

Gregb

Greg

Feel better, hopefully it's worth all the suffering through it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks Mike, I am looking forward to the end game.

Gregb

Busy as a Beetle over the weekend, had to go to regular job Saturday and paint a Mercedes Benz then I went to radio shop and worked on the Philco, sorry but no book match veneer this time on the radio top, didn't want to spend the $85 on the wood just for the top never get it back. Although the walnut veneer I put on has some very nice grain pattern running thru it it will be very nice once finished. The toning isn't factory but really looks nice, the finish isn't done yet. I have to sand the sealer which your seeing in these photos, then apply the final coats of clear lacquer and the gloss level will be higher. The speaker cabinet has new walnut veneer on the top and matches the radio cabinet, the factory had walnut running fron left to right on the speaker cabinet. Still waiting to hear from radio daze on the dial, next week I will finish the radio and speaker, new cloth for speaker and a new back cover will be made but I'm thinking about using  1/4 wood that will be stained and cleared and perhaps not drilling the holes. I'm thinking the radio may have more Bass if I don't drill the holes in the back cover, what do you thing Ron?

Attached Files Image(s)

More pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello Ron, radio daze has this dial its for a miodel 18lzx I'm wondering it sure looks like what I need , will this work is what I want to know. Thers a few little deferences in the short wave band numbers but not much and the size of dial not sure if same size as 91? or the 14lzx chassis.

Attached Files Image(s)

> I'm thinking the radio may have more Bass if I don't drill the holes in the back cover, what do you thing Ron?

It will have plenty of bass with the proper back. It's up to you if you want to install a plain back with no holes, though.

> radio daze has this dial its for a miodel 18lzx I'm wondering it sure looks like what I need , will this work is what I want to know.

Will it work? Yes. Will it be authentic? No, simply because the 18RX has a different coverage on its band 2 than does the 14LZX (1.5 to 4.2 mc in the 18 versus 1.4 to 3.3 mc in the 14LZX).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Fred, I would just give the guys at Radio Daze a call, they will make anything you want and for the same price you would pay for the one above. I have had them done with no problems.

Gregb

Finished up the cabinets except the back cover for speaker, the walnut veneer I replaced on both tops on speaker and radio came from same sheet and match perfectly. No book match on radio, the veneer was very expensive so I decided not to go with it . The toning was done to give the pieces a little bit more character and style , more than what the factory had done. This set would be a great addition to any radio collection. I will post pictures of the radio when I get done with the chassis and have it installed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pictures, the speaker cloth from Radio Daze and is the cloth for the 90 cathedral, so I kept the pattern in the family.

Attached Files Image(s)

That looks good Fred.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

ALL ,,I ,,,CAN say is ------SHOW ROOM Material

Fred, your work is amazing!

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes