Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Cabinet Feet

The brass feet on most of my cabinets are completely worn out and several are missing all together. For quite some time I have been thinking about making cabinet feet. A couple of months ago, I bought one of those Chinese mini metal lathes. I have made a few sets of feet. This is new to me so I'm learning as I go.

I picked the least worn foot that I could find to copy. I have some that are worn/mashed to half the thickness of this one.

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1828/4254...8457_k.jpg]Philco Cabinet Feet by Steve Davis, on Flickr

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1810/4273...3761_k.jpg]Philco Cabinet Feet by Steve Davis, on Flickr

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1785/4254...03d0_k.jpg]Philco Cabinet Feet by Steve Davis, on Flickr

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1821/4273...59eb_k.jpg]Philco Cabinet Feet by Steve Davis, on Flickr

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

They look sharp, you should go into production!

Paul

Tubetalk1

Paul, I plan to make these available to other restorers. Right now it takes about an hour to make a set, so the cost would be fairly high. I plan to make some modifications to the lathe that will probably cut that time in half. If so, I should be able to get the price in the $12 to $14 range.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I was being semi facetious but I am glad to hear you will be helping us all out.

Good luck with the adjustments. 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Awesome work Steve! I've been hoping to find a source for replacements. Thank you!

Extremely nice, Steve!!! I would be very proud to put those feet on any cabinet that would take them!!!  Icon_thumbup

Steve;
  Before you put too much effort into this I would have a look in one of the Lee Valley hardware, or McMaster-Carr catalogs to make sure that they are absolutely not available first. I had a look in one of those catalogs one and there was a lot of stuff available that you would have thought would have long since have gone out of production, and fairly cheaply too.
Regards
Arran

Very Nice! Let me know if you get to the point you are taking orders. I have three radios right now that could use these.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

steve,
your feet on the market yet?

They are! Take a look here  Reproduction Philco Cathedral Cabinets and Accessories by Steve Davis (philcoradio.com)

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hello Steve,
Wow they look great and I know I could use a bunch of those myself and far as that little Lathe I too thought it would be handy to have one .
I have looked at some Lathes at Grizzly tools So where did you get your and do you like it ?

Sincerely Richard

Richard, I bought the lathe on eBay. If I remember correctly, it was about $500 shipped. I’m sure they are a little more now. But, the initial price is about one half of the total cost. You can get started with a few tools but, you will soon realize some upgrades are needed. You will need a quick change tool post with several tool holders. I have added digital readout’s and a quick lock on the tailstock. My machine is a 7x14, 7 is the swing and 14 is the distance between centers. 14 is the absolute minimum that you should consider, even if you don’t think you will ever need to turn a long piece. The problem with a short bed is, the tail stock will get in the way of some operations. As far as quality goes, these are hobby grade machines. They are not rigid enough for serious steel work but, for aluminum, brass or plastic they work quite well. All said, after having the machine, I would not want to be without it. Besides using it to make cabinet feet and Philco service tools, I have made control shaft extensions, wound coils, polished Mershon filter capacitors and many, many other things. 

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Hello Steve,
Yes a Lathe is very handy I used to use one at a small machineshop at a business where i use to work fun times !
Sincerely Richard