Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

8G005 Zenith T/O Restoration

Compared to Zenith Spinet.....or Philco 38-690, it's a walk in the park, even if on an unmaintained trail Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Today all I did was spraying the band switch with Deoxit and the tuning cap with Blue Shower.
After that the 49M and 31M bands came alive.
Tomorrow I will attempt alignment.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike is that one of the few I gave you 
The guy showed me they all worked  
 It did get bounced around in van. Before I had storage unit 

Great work  get them all running

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Yes that's the one. A tube was bad, not sure that would happen due to bouncing, but who knows.
As to ALL (you mean the 600, three sets you gave me) they are all devoid of tubes. So.....will have to wait.

Hmm don’t recall taking them tubes out. 
Send me a list to I’ll see if I have them will send them to you

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Those probably are the miniature tubes.
thanks, maybe wben and if I get to them.

Oh...forgot: this is the second time I have encountered that same problem: the first was in Zenith 6G001Y.
The volume switch-pot would not turn off: the indicator flag would not let it.
The culprit is the small lip the cam that mounted on the shaft pushes against to raise the flag so the black part would show when off.
The lip obviously gets bent a bit too much upright (at 90 degrees position) so when the cam pushes against it, it does not slip under it but keeps pushing into it. I took the needle-nose pliers, bent it just a little towards the cam, so the surface at which it pushes, become a bit inclined and the lifting force is generated. Plus added a drop of lithium grease. Then it worked.
However when I installed the dial face back, it stopped working. Obviously the dial was pressing against the flag. I had to install thin washers between the dial and the chassis to create a little space behind it, lest I spent too much time investigating, bending and unbending things. So far the only ramification is, I had to not press the pointer all the way when putting it back onto the tuning cap's shaft.

So....anyone has ever aligned one of these?

I aligned successfully the IF and BC.

Then I got to the Short Wave alignment part, where you turn the coils' cores with a flat screwdriver.
I easily adjusted L5 of the 49M band but that was as far as I got: the rest (L10, L15) as well as the coils of other bands seem frozen. I chipped a little the L10 core and decided to stop.

Also the coils seem flimsy and I am simply afraid to break them off the board they are mounted on.

Is there any trick or special tool?

If I remember correctly those coils and they seemed pretty fragile to me at the time. I think I checked to make sure that I was receiving something from my signal generator with audio modulation on each of the bands and that it was close to the frequency on the radio's dial. I did use a small screw driver to align one or two bands but they seemed right on so I did not go farther.

On the ARF it was suggested to use a hair dryer to loosen the wax. Will try that.

Tried today. Worked on one coil, didn't on another. Maybe there is an instrument for that.

Today grafted some new coils from the spare chassis I bought. They actually all could be trimmed quite easily, unlike the old ones.
Plus used the new sig gen.
Seems to align better.

I will consider that the end of it.

Does anyone know where the Z-1 battery goes?
After putting in the big one, no space seems to be left.

So, today the batteries that I got from Ed Morris got stuffed and put in their respective radios.
This one gets the Z985 AB battery and Z1 battery.
The radio works great.

The Z1 battery is the 1.5v one right?
If so, here is where I found it in the first 8G005 I worked on. Left side, on the bottom when looking from the back. Don't know if that is where it was when the AB battery pack was in place, this one did not have that in it at the time.

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9sx44hi090lfcv....jpg?raw=1]