Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for info on 37-630 Console Speaker

Been restoring a Philco 47-630 floor cabinet radio, I believe that makes it an X model from what I've read here.  It's been an adventure after finding a lot of the wood had been termite munched, but the case was finally ready for the radio having been recapped and tested at Speakeasy Radios here in Florida. This is the third radio he's done for me, he's great and has been giving me pointers as I learn this new hobby. I put it in, hooked up the speaker, and saw sparks. After some playing, found it only did it when the speaker was connected in the center of the radio. The speaker had been replaced at some point with a 12 inch versus the stock 10 inch. Ultra, or something like that was the name on the back.  It worked at Speakeasy, but somewhere along the way back in the mail, the field coil took a dump, when he tested everything when he got the radio back again. He's still trying to narrow down where the sparking was taking place and why. With the radio in pieces, no obvious marks seems to be showing. But we do need a new speaker. Any idea where we can locate one with the proper specs? 

From what I read, 36-1224 is the speaker for the 10 inch X cabinet we need to hunt down (for a bit we got the T cabinet 8 inch confused).  Got my alert set on eBay, but wondered if there are any other resources I can look into, or even other speaker options he can try out. The radio was working fine before when he recapped, but now we're at a standstill until we can get a speaker and see what is going on. My hope is the other speaker was doing something and all is fine when a new one is added, but better safe than sorry, he said, and make sure nothing was damaged.

Thanks,

Mike

PS - on a side note, I have a 40-135 spread out over my kitchen counter I'm learning to recap on, with another 40-130 and the schematics next to me to reference. It's been on a back burner now for about two months while working on the the 630 cabinet and a few other projects I've picked up. Hopefully going back to it soon.

[Moderator Note]

Welcome Michael!

Wanted ads normally belong in the 'Wanted Ads' forum:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17

But it looks like you're asking for more general advice on replacements. I've left your post here and edited the title to reflect this.

You can find detailed specs for many Philco speakers in the speakers.xlsx spreadsheet here:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=215

That has the specs for the H-24 speaker originally in your 37-630X.

Thanks. Yeah, I saw the want ads and was looking there after the post, but also wondered if there is a shop that maybe focuses on these old speakers, or replacements. At some point this one was replaced and looking up pics in Google of this radio for reference, I noticed a few replacements as well, so figured at some point there were other aftermarket speakers out there that were options besides Philco model specific ones.  

I'll look up the links you posted too, think I found them once in a search before. Followup, yes, I think this is where I found the speaker info before and where I figured out which speaker I needed. Thanks.