Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-60 or 38-89B?

I got an old Philco from my father and I thought it's a Tombstone 37-60, but the dial area is different. Run across other pictures that suggest it's a 38-89B.  The inside cabinet label says 37-60.  Schematic for 37-60 looks somewhat correct.   It's in nice shape, just ordered a bunch of capacitors and resistors for it.  Can anyone confirm the model? Posted pictures of it and a library photo of 38-89.

Attached Files Image(s)

It's a late version 37-60B -

https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1937b/#Model_37-60B

- although it oddly uses the larger escutcheon of the 1938 version (38-60B). The reason could be that this is a transition model, one of the last 1937 models to come off the assembly line, or else Philco switched to the larger escutcheon during production of the second version 37-60B (more likely).

Philco did not always document changes, which causes head scratching, arguments, etc. among collectors these days.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks a bunch.. I was getting REAL worried since I just ordered a bunch of resistors and capacitors for the 37-60. Just now I was going over the schematic for the 38-89 and comparing it to pictures underneath mine. Totally different. The radio was always at my father's house since the 50s. I slept next to it. It stayed in a closet since the early 70s. House was air conditioned. Color is good on the wires. I bought a cheap front panel to practice finishing. Finding that non acetone nail polish remover OR brake cleaner smooths out the alligator flaking without removing the decal (another post). Thanks again..

The 38-89 uses six tubes; the 37 and 38-60, five.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN