Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

INFORMATION ON PHILCO 46-480

Hello everyone.  I've recently acquired a Philco console radio 46-480 which I am in the process of restoring and I want to keep it as close to original as possible.  I have the technical specs, alignment instructions, parts list etc. that I got from Sams.  However, there are a few things I'd like to know that aren't covered in the schematics that I have and was hoping that someone who watches this forum might be able to help:

Does anyone have any information the "cabinet dipole" that's listed on the schematic?  There's a grove around the cabinet edge where I believe the antenna should go but I'd like to know how long each side of the dipole is or how far down the cabinet it runs.

The left hand button is labeled "on-off" but there are no labels on the remaining switches.  Does anyone know if these button were labeled when the set was new or if the user was supposed to label them?  If labeled from the factory does anyone know what the labels were?  Is it left up to the user to tune the buttons to a particular local station?

Does anyone have access to a user manual that they would be willing to copy or share?

Lastly, one of the labels on the band switch is labeled "P.B.".  I'm thinking that this may stand for "preselect buttons" but don't know.  If anyone can shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.  Feel free to write me directly at pschest790@gmail.com

Regards,
         Pete        

Welcome to the phorum, Pete! First advice I will give is if that radio hasn't been restored - UNPLUG IT!
Old capacitors and drifted resistors can quickly ruin your day. Plenty of folks here to help you along the way. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

The Philco Service info found in our library may also be of help.  See the listing for the 46-480 on this page: https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...year-book/

Scrolling down on that page there is also a section on 1946 External Aerials that might help.

Hi and welcome,

Here's the original service info from Philco. https://philcoradio.com/library/download...6-1947.pdf It may differ from the Sam's as they redraw and change the part numbers on the schematic. It makes it very hard to follow a long and answer questions. Please here on the Phorum use the Philco manual. Not all of us have access to the Sam's but we have all the of the Philco manuals here.

The dipole would look something like this: https://www.rfcafe.com/references/radio-...l-1947.htm

The PB stands for push buttons and when the band switch is in that position it allows all of the push buttons except the off/on switch to select pretuned stations. There is no pretuning on the sw or fm bands.

There are some station labels in the library but I think they are for the '40-'42 models. In saying that they only have stations that were on the air pre 1942 or so.

I took a quick look and didn't see a user manual for your set. The Phorum puts them in the library as friends and members scan and send them to us.

GL w/your project!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry