Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 32

Hello Everyone,

I recently retired and am getting started on some old radios that I purchased over the years for my retirement hobby. I own a Philco 32 that seems to be in pretty good shape. The cabinet has some minor damage and all the tubes are there. I need to pull the chassis out and do a thorough check and see if the power supply was converted to ac. I was wondering if any of you would give me an idea of a nice 32 v power supply to get to power this up.

Regards,
Bob

Welcome to the Phorum!
Here's the schematic from the library. Sometimes these are easier to read than the ones on Nostalgiaair. https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Hello Bob, and welcome to the phorum! If you plan on having battery sets in your collection I would highly recommend the ARBE-III battery eliminator. It's a little pricey, but as the phrase goes "you get what you paid for". My wife got me one for Christmas last year. I have currently a Freed-Eismann model 10 and an Atwater-Kent model 20 big box. Never planned on either of these radios. Just sort of fell in my lap. The ARBE-III is easy to use, and practically bullet-proof. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Hi Bob, welcome to the Phorum. There's a lot of expertise here to get your radios going again.

I'm looking at the schematic for the 32 and it has a vibrator power supply that generates the B+ voltage for the tubes. This voltage will run around 150-200 volts and is filtered by capacitors #49 and #50. Before applying voltage to the power supply these two caps should be replaced with modern 10mfd, 250 volt electrolytic capacitors. If you don't you risk destroying other components in the radio. In addition the paper/wax capacitors will be in sad shape and leaky. Replace them also. That vibrator may not operate when you power it on and they tend to create a lot of interference in the radio. As for the 32 volts, you might have a problem finding that voltage source unless you can get a variable power supply that delivers 3-4 amps. I see five tube filaments are in series making the 32 volts. Maybe someone else here has a recommendation.

Hello Bob. I spoke too soon about your battery eliminator. The ARBEIII doesn't provide a 32 volt tap. The website RadiolaGuy.com has a 32 volt power supply for farm radios. About $70.00 for the unit plus s+h. Hope this helps. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan

Agree with Gary - this would be the easiest solution for a 32 volt power supply.

https://www.radiolaguy.com/RadioPowerSupply.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Bob and welcome,

I was at this dance a few years ago https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15152 These posts might answer some of your questions. And if you want to build a p/s for it the info is there.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to pull everything out and make the suggested changes and then get the 32v power supply that most of you suggested.

Regards,
Bob Icon_smile

Don't end it here, Bob. Let us know how things are progressing. We have plenty of gurus to help sort out any issues you may have along the way. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

Gary - Westland Michigan