Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118 Chassis Restoration

I took some time away from the 118 for some other projects, now getting back to it.

All of the Bakelite blocks have been re-stuffed and several out of tolerance resistors have been replaced.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Nice work, Steve. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

When Ms. Fixr and I bought our house 42 years ago, we rented a propane powered wallpaper steamer. The nicotine contaminated condensate that dripped from the ceiling (it was February, but we had to open the door because of the heat generated by the steam boiler) The steam was actually cleaning the nicotine off the curtain rods, outlet plates, etc.

We were not smokers to begin with but I wish both of my 2.5 pack / day per person, Camel non-filter smoking Mom and Dad were there to see it. Maybe they would have quit and lived a lot longer than their 54 years (Mom) or 66 years (Dad).

So maybe steam will work, but I haven't tried it, especially with the 100K BTU job that we rented lo those years ago. I have used a combination of Windex, then solvents, WD40, Liquid Wrench or kerosene if necessary, carefully applied, outdoors away from sources of ignition. Obviously, keep away from tube sockets, especially the wafer type., Then use ethanol to clean off the kerosene, then try GoJo.

Did the ammonia and WD40 trick on an AK165 chassis years ago, came out beautifully, but the AKs back then were nickel plated.

Aluminum Wheel Cleaner may be helpful in cleaning stained or corroded aluminum. Haven't tried it yet, but something to coat the aluminum part after cleaning would be a good idea.

Thoughts are welcome.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Today I cleaned the tuning condenser

I removed the mica trimmers, then used my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner filled with lacquer thinner, working outdoors, of course. After about ten minutes, the plates still had a thin film but it could be wiped clean with a rag. I then put the condenser in the dishwasher and ran it for a cycle.

After washing, I blew the condenser dry, oiled the bearings, reinstalled the dial and trimmers.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

The tuning condenser has been reinstall on the chassis.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

I haven't made too much progress on this radio lately. The weather has been so nice, I have been working on some outside projects and doing a little fishing. 

After installing the tuning condenser, I noticed the band switch was very stuck. I first tried heat, using a propane torch I applied heat to the shaft bushing. After a few seconds of heat the shaft turned quite freely but, as soon as it cooled down, it was stuck again. Next, I tried spraying the shaft and bushing with WD-40. The WD-40 did not seem to penetrate. So, I cut a short piece of Tygon fuel line and pushed it down over the threaded portion of the bushing. I then filled the tubing with WD-40, sort of as a reservoir. It took about a week for the WD-40 to soak through, I was then able to turn the shaft. After working  the shaft back and forth for a minute or so it became easy to turn.

M R Radios   C M Tubes

@ Steve Davis:

"So, I cut a short piece of Tygon fuel line and pushed it down over the threaded portion of the bushing. I then filled the tubing with WD-40, sort of as a reservoir."

What a fantastic idea!!! Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Hello Steve,
Nicely Done !

Sincerely Richard

Super idea for the WD40!

Hello Steve,
My go to oil I like to use when I am working on radios is my Zoom turbine oil .

Sincerely Richard

Today I had some time so, I got back to the project.

I brought the supply voltage slowly and the radio came to life. I was able to tune a couple of stations near the upper end of the dial but, nothing at the lower end. It is no surprise that the alignment is way off as I removed all of the trimmers when I cleaned the tuning condenser. I will do the alignment and probably just put the chassis on the shelf until next fall, then make a cabinet for it. The problem I have is, I only have two K-17 speakers and I have two Philco 16 chassis that I want to use those speakers for. The early 16B, 17B, 18B and the 118B are the only Philcos to use the K-17 speaker so, that make them a little hard to find.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes