Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-11 RF Unit schematic differs from my radio

Hello all, I'm new to radio restoration so i'm making a lot of rookie mistakes.  But I'm also learning a whole lot! I've been restoring a 37-11 and have been having some problems. As part of making sure I didn't incorrectly wire something, I've been tracing circuits. So far so good.  But the R.F. Unit schematic I have doesn't match with the circuitry of my radio.  I'm using the John F. Rider Models 37-10, 37-11 schematic.

Is there an more updated version?

So far I've checked all coils, transformers, and made sure resistors are all within spec or replaced. All wax caps and electrolytics are replaced.  All bakelite caps are checked or replaced.

It appears as tho there was two different code numbers, a code 121 or a 125. It would printed after the model number on the blue and white paper tag. Here are the service bulletins for both: 

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...%20268.pdf

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20268A.pdf

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you so much for your help!

I've checked out the RF Unit and the documents you mentioned helped a great deal. Thank You.

All is well except for some hidden caps I needed to replaced and the R.F. Range 2 coil. Reference #33. I measure 65 ohms between pins 1 and 2 not 6.5 ohms. Please tell me that 6.5 ohms is a misprint. I'm afraid I'll need to find, or make a new coil.

Hello all,

I've been working on the RF Unit of my 37-11 Philco radio. As I was doing ohm checks on each coil, I found one section that read 65 ohms. The schematic specifies 6.5 ohms. This coil is the R.F. Range 2 coil (reference #33 pins 1,2). I can't imagine how a coil could have a greater resistance than listed (within tolerance). I'm hoping this is a typeo on the schematic. I really don't want to source this coil or build a new one if it's not needed.

Please, keep all posts about the same radio in the same thread.

Read the Rules - this is your responsibility.
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4586

Quote:II. Multiple threads on the same subject not allowed.

When you start a thread, please keep the discussion within the same thread.

Example: "Philco 90 broken"

After you've started that thread, please do not start another thread on "Philco 90 bad resistor" if it is the same Philco 90 being discussed in the original thread. Give others a chance to respond to your questions rather than asking them again in a new thread - please be patient.

These sort of threads will be immediately deleted, to keep clutter to a minimum.

Please cooperate with management in keeping one thread in the same place rather than scattering it around.

Will do! Sorry about that.

Increased resistance indicates a poor joint or corrosion has taken place in that winding.

Check again with another meter.

Depending on the design of the coil this can be an easy fix, like an external break or failed solder joint but corrosion of the winding is another matter.

I do not know what this coil looks like, but, if it is a two layer solenoid that is good. It can be rewound as long as the same wire size and replacement of the celluloid liner with PETE if it is a coil on top of a coil.

It takes patience and method, a finished rewound solenoid coil can drop in and work like it never happened.

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”