Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 44B Early Version Missing Capacitor

I'm working on this 1933 model and it appears that this capacitor has not been installed. It is Item #66, Part# 3615-H, 0.05 mfd. It is shown on the Philco schematics and parts layout, but it doesn't look like it was ever installed on this set. It is located between the 2 Filter electrolytic capacitors.
I think it should be there, but thought I would see if any of the experts had thoughts. Rider's Philco Page 4-24, 25 & 26 show the information.

Thanks
John N3MUN

Hi JJ and welcome to the Phorum. If you are familiar with bakelite blocks, this capacitor is one. I can tell by the part number this is a bb. Actually, the .05 mfd is encased in a black solid tar inside a small black bakelite block about 1.5 x 3/4 x 1 inch high located between the power transformer and the 80 rectifier tube. It will be bolted to the chassis. This block has one capacitor inside. The capacitor leads come through the tereyelets and connect to the terminals. Put the block snuggly in a vise. Use a drill bit to disconnect the leads then heat the block to just soften the tar. Using a smaller bit push the tar and cap out of the block. Clean with alcohol or lacquer thinner. Install the new cap in the block and you're good to go.

If the block is missing then install a terminal strip where the block was. Or you can throw the block away and put in the terminal strip. We're all about options here.

RodB-
Thanks for all the detailed information and the welcome. I am on some of the other forums, should have joined a while ago, but I have several 30's Philco's that I plan to restore.  There is a LOT of good information here! Yes, I am familiar with the Philco Blocks. I was hesitant at first to attack these, but they really are easy to re-do. I know that this is supposed to be one of those, as you mention, you can tell by the Part number, and the parts layout. However, this one is NOT in the radio! Not even any trace of it having one in the past. The chassis is for the most part unmolested. The only thing I noticed is on one of the other Blocks, the solder tab had broken off, so the previous owner installed an external cap. I do think this missing cap needs to be installed, and I was going to do exactly what you mentioned, adding a terminal strip, and adding the cap.

Thanks
John N3MUN

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,

Here the service bulletin for your set: https://philcoradio.com/library/download...%20176.pdf There's the whole thing! In Philco speak what you have is model 44 chassis in a
B (baby grand) cabinet.

As for your question the missing cap is or was used to tune the field coil to eliminate hum. I didn't look at the service updates but
on a number of chassis these where eliminated. If you are going to upgrade the filter caps to 10mfd which is the common value
these days I wouldn't bother to replace #66.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Terry!
Yes, I am planning to use 10mfd filters.
Good information! I had this document, but thanks anyway for the link.
Of course, I also have to replace all the rubber O-rings and washers on the tuning cap. I saw the notes about replacements for the O-Rings, and my local ACE Hardware has a great selection of them.

John

Hello John,
That sounds like a plan and yes I miss not having an Ace hardware close by they carry great selection of hardware .

Sincerely Richard

On the O rings the early model 16's (5 band) use them. I found a part numbers for a sacks 20 ea on ebay for abt $8 each. I have a life time supply of them.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Gents-
What have you been using for the rubber washers under the tuning caps? Any good sources? I didn't find a good replacement at Ace. Icon_smile 

John

Methinks you are looking for these  http://www.renovatedradios.com/product.php?product=320
You'll need two per screw.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes!
I did see these and had ordered some parts from them previously. But being the cheap (frugal) person I am, I was hoping something similar to ACE pricing. I plan to order a bunch.

I used 3 conical faucet washers and 3 flat washers when I fixed a friends 89 from #&!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55