Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-90 Questions

I have a Philco 41-90 farm radio which I was given as a gift. I needed to completely rewire it and replace most of the components. I now have it working electronically. But I need to restring it. Does anyone have information on how to do that? I have the string but no idea how get needs to be threaded.
One other question. Does anyone know what the receiver sensitivity should be? Right now I can get an audio tone with an RF signal of -80dBm (22.4uV) @650kHz.

Larry
K7MLG

Larry
K7MLG

My Kenwood TS-440 was dumb down at the factory on the BCB to a sensitivity of 40uv. So 22 doesn't sound too bad.

As for the dial restringing I just follow whats left of the old cord. If it's not there it's time to go with the trial and error method. I use
some heavy thread just 'cause I have a big spool of it.

GL de N3GTE

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the reply. The -80 dBm is probably close. I am a retired engineer and a HAM and have worked on radios going down to -110 dBm. I will eventually do an alignment and see if I get any improvement in the sensitivity.
The restringing is a problem, as string was not intact when I got it. I have restored a couple of Emerson's, and a Zenith. This Philco is one of the more complicated tuning strings that I have encountered.

Larry
K7MLG

Larry
K7MLG

Hello Larry. I've used braided nylon fishing line in a pinch. 30-40 pound test comes fairly close. A spool from a sporting goods outlet will probably last a lifetime. If you don't have the tension spring a trip to the local hardware store will probably have something close. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

As a guess is this dial string arrangement like yours? https://philcoradio.com/library/download...20Book.pdf

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

No my dial chord is more complicated. Thanks for trying.

Larry
K7MLG

I do have dial chord it is trying to find the correct way to thread this particular dial chord.

Larry
K7MLG