Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 625B Assessment (UPDATE It works!)

What should I do with this 15K ohm resistor? It is now 16.6K and I am thinking about replacing it. What wattage should I use? I am pretty sure it gets hot.

Attached Files Image(s)

It is 20% tolerance, your measurement says its in spec...

If it got too hot, the body would char the coding paint...

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Hello KI5OMM,
I have that exact value and size resistor in my Philco 38-10t that is a 3watt and mine is bad so I making a repo.

Sincerely Richard

Hello KI5OMM,
Well nice job on that Electrolytic capacitor here is a photo of the one I just did Sunday .

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job on that capacitor Richard! Good clean construction. Today I will re-stuff the double 8Mfd can and get it back into the chassis.

I just realized that I forgot to tell you the model of de-soldering gun that I have. I bought it through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTXCHGV?psc...ct_details

So far it has done a great job for me. I have another older gun, but this one gets much hotter I think. On really big solder blobs such as chassis grounds or terminals with a lot of leads soldered in place, it helps to use another actual soldering gun. In places like that, I use a solder gun in my right hand to quickly melt the solder blob, and use the de-solder gun in my left hand to suck up the melted solder. It's really easy to do and it sure makes removing stuff much easier.
Bud - KI5OMM

I just finished the double 8mfd can. The original solder lugs on the end of the can were riveted with aluminum rivets. I had to drill those out using a drill press. It was a bit fussy, but doable. I then added screws and solder lugs and finally soldered in the new caps.

Everything checked out good, so back into the chassis it goes....

Attached Files Image(s)

Your wires (nuts) are too close to another nut that is close to the shell. I think it is well under the required spacing.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

You get extra points for being observant! Actually the nuts were still loose when that photo was taken. The nut that is closest to the shell is the grounding lug. Everything is now properly placed.

Also on another note: I wired the two caps wrong and had to change them up a bit after noticing my mistake on the schematic.

YES! It actually works! 
I powered it up for the first time today and it actually works pretty good! I have been fretting over the antenna transformer coil trying to get it hooked up properly. I also found a broken lead on the coil. Fixed that. I replaced all of the caps, many resistors, and some bad wiring. I removed all of the previous crappy repairs and strange modifications to the wiring, and brought everything back to the original schematic as designed.

I was nervous as could be, but I plugged it into my variac - dim bulb tester - isolation transformer and slowly added voltage. At about 100 volts the set came to life and then I heard static. I tuned in and found a local AM station and she played!

I do still have a good bit of work to finish. My volume pot has a burned spot on the track, so that will need t be replaced. I think my tubes are pretty weak and one the 78 tube has a loose base and cap. I have not done an alignment yet. So it is still a work in progress, but at least it didn't burn my shop to the ground... Icon_biggrin

Congrats.
It's a nice feeling, when it starts singing.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello KI5OMM,
Way to go glad to hear the set is working and you did real fine job on rebuilding that capacitor and the radio .

Sincerely Richard

Congrats, as well.

I thought for sure this radio was the Waterloo... Icon_thumbup

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Great!!
Icon_clap Icon_clap

Thanks all for the kind words! And certainly a big thank you for all of those who helped me with some good advice too.

Today just for kicks I hooked up one of my 550 ft Beverage receiving antennas to the radio. SW is excellent. Very stable with no frequency drift that I could tell. Tonight I listened to a Polish broadcast station for around an hour or so and the audio quality was pretty dang good.

Now it's onward to the cabinet refinish. Now finally I am in my element....I have been a master woodworker for many years. I build high end furniture as one of my hobbies and in fact I have built most of the furniture in my house. I have a small but well-equipped shop and I treasure my hand tools like fine jewelry. Ok - enough of that crap. LOL

Here is a quick photo of my library and desk that I built some years ago. Most of the panels are hand hammered veneer of various woods. I like using traditional hot hide glue for furniture construction and most especially for veneer work.

Here is a photo of my ham shack

Hello KI5OMM,
beautiful and I too love woodworking and yes when I am restoring funiture I like too use Hide glue or Tightbond .

Sincerely Richard