Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

91D restoration

On the escutcheon and any other brass parts, you don't want to clean/polish so aggressively that you polish away the original dark patina, leaving a bright shiny brass finish.

If you do polish down to bright brass:

Give the parts a couple light coats of Mohawk Van Dyke Brown toning lacquer. Now polish just the highlights of the escutcheon, leaving the low spots alone. Then, spray a couple light coats of clear gloss Deft lacquer.

This will yield the same result as shown on my 18B escutcheon above.

You don't want a bright brass escutcheon. That will stick out like a sore thumb.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Personally, if it were my set, I would just detail clean the brass parts and preserve the patina since the case has just been cleaned and touched up with restor-a-finish. Just my 2 cents worth. I have a 91 and that is my plan, although I have to replace some veneer. My plan is to try to match the old veneer without refinishing it.

edit: oops. Did not realize there was a page 2 and Ron had already made my point better.

Ron Mc/

TexMac:
All opinions and thoughts are very welcomed. Thanks for yours.

Ron:
All your input has been critical for us. Thanks so much!

All other posters:
Thanks for your guidance and combined expertise.

Any further thoughts or direction from any member will be gratefully acknowledged as well.

Cabinet clean up just about finished. Pics will follow after we get the chassis back in a few weeks.

chbpe Icon_biggrin