Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84-B Early Model

A few ohms. If it is open it will read into the 1000's.
Terry

No, not the Blues Brothers. Up in Cleveland, OH there was a long running late night program that used to run old movies on Channel 8. During the 70s and the Hoolihan and Big Chuck period of the show, they ran a spoof called 'Soul Man', a Superman spoof. At the beginning of each 'episode' there was a battered Philco 84B with a person reaching for the dial.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Okay, for Osc. coil winding, all I have is a roll of 40 ga wire. Hope this will work in place of the 36 ga.

Counted the turns and it looks like 14 or 15 turns.

G.

I'd go with a few more turns like 20 or so. If you don't have enough the osc won't run across the whole band. Rewind it and I'll bet it will play like crazy!!!
Terry

That 40 ga wire looked too difficult to handle for winding a coil so I changed plans. I found a spool of 30 ga. Kynar wire wrap wire in my junk box to use for the Oscillator coil repair.

I have removed the faulty coils of wire from the form and I wrapped 16 turns of the 30 ga. in place and applied clear cement to hold the wraps. After the cement dries fully I will resolder the Oscillator coil back into the circuit and give it a try.

G.

All Okay. The Oscillator coil is soldered back in place and the radio is playing well. It's still hard for me to believe that my coil repair actually worked !

Most of the stations are quit distant from me so I can pick up a few during the daytime. At night I should be able to find many more stations.

Next up, I am replacing the resistors and hope that it will play even better when I'm finished.

G.

Ha Ha!! Told you it was easy!!
Terry