Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Christmas in August

Sondowner, yes, email received, and I thank you. Icon_thumbup

Jayce - yep, an additional building could be helpful for many of us... Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sweet Ron. Every time you open those doors you want to say TA DA!

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Jayce - yep, an additional building could be helpful for many of us... Icon_lol
My trailer is beginning to feel more and more like a game of Tetris.. and I can't get the peices to fit! Ack! Icon_lol

No matter where you go, there you are.

Congratulations Ron on your new finds as well as your college graduation Icon_thumbup Both are terrific accomplishments!!

Congratulations Ron! I know you worked hard on your degree and those radios are a very nice graduation present. Your 37-690X is a gorgeous radio!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Boy oh Boy you've got yourself a couple of real beauties!!! Hope there easy restoration with any major problems.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Unbelievable Haul....Once in a Million Years.

El Dorado for you!

Hi Ron:

Is there a story(ies)you have about acquiring these two corkers? There is usually always a good story with a neat find. I would understand not wishing to reveal your sources!
Congrats. Icon_thumbup Icon_biggrin

Tubetalk1

Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

All I can say is, WOW!!!! Both are fantastic. I always felt that the 37-670 was the nicer set than the 38-670. And it has the more uncommon 6B4 output tubes. Very cool.

Ron, just based on the amazing detail you put into everything ranging from your website, to the answers that you always provide, to the sets that you restore, I think that you will shortly become a master in whatever field that you end up in.

Ron;
Assuming that the 37-690 is unrestored electrically will you be posting a thread of that restoration when the time comes? Have you thought of making a series of Bob Andersen style restoration videos to document it? It would be neat to see and hear one of those 37-690s in operation? It's a shame that I am nowhere near that 37-690 on craigslist but I may find one around here, who knows?
Regards
Arran

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes, I really appreciate your kindness.

Paul - as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I bought myself the 37-690 as a graduation present for myself, having earned my associate degree in Information Technology, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Theta Kappa (3.974 GPA). Not bad for an old man.

Tom (TA) - That is a very nice thing to say, thank you!

Arran - Sorry, I don't have a video camera. (Although, I think Debbie might have one?) Anyway, this 37-690 is working and has been worked on in the recent past. However, at some point I am probably going to go through it again. I looked under the upper chassis and found that none of the bakelite blocks had been rebuilt; new yellow Mylar caps were connected across the bakelite blocks instead. This set deserves a proper electronic restoration, and as time allows, it shall receive one. I guess I had better start saving those old wax paper caps for when the time comes to do this, else I'll be in the same boat as Etech when he redid his 38-690. I usually don't bother restuffing wax paper caps. But on a really nice set such as this one, yes, I will take the extra effort to do this.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:This set deserves a proper electronic restoration, and as time allows, it shall receive one. I guess I had better start saving those old wax paper caps for when the time comes to do this, else I'll be in the same boat as Etech when he redid his 38-690. I usually don't bother restuffing wax paper caps. But on a really nice set such as this one, yes, I will take the extra effort to do this.

Yes, the proper values are kind of hard to come by. Fortunately, due to the generosity of our antique radio communities, out of 24 missing Philco paper caps I have only these five still missing. Icon_smile

Quantity.....P/N.................Value

1----------------30-4334----------.004uF
1----------------30-4419----------.02uF
2----------------30-4449----------.03uF
1----------------30-4512----------.05uF

If I am unable to find these last five, I will use substitutes. I do have most of the correct values to replace these, just not the right part number.

Ed