Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

296 Concert Grand Radio & Phonograph

that Philco Concert Grand radio and phonograph is an exquisitely beautiful piece. I sure hope it winds up in a good home. Thanks for the pictures!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Chicago Jimmy Wrote:I have some more shots...and in a much higher resolution if anyone needs them.
The price is not firm.

You are killing me Jimmy!! Icon_eek Nice sets.

Glenn

I am moving to Chicago to shop at that antique dealer! Way to go Jimmy! Icon_clap

Paul

Tubetalk1

Since it's a 1930 model aren't the knobs supposed to be of the flower pot type rather then the rosette type?
Regards
Arran

Hey, Arran, good catch. I missed that detail...don't know how I missed it...I must be getting old. Icon_confused

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hmph! I was old last year...

For TA Forbes who wanted a photo of the speaker and chassis in the RCA? custom cabinet set. I don't know if it is an RCA set or not. The only label says "For Best Reception, connect RCA World-Wide Antenna to these terminals" and has the RCA Logo, etc. But there is no ID of the actual maker. There are 3 red ink stamped markings on the back of the chassis. There is "6Q9", red box with " ?????/????? 229" and another red box with "Rating A/ See Label/ 2 words in French" Also a stamped in ser. no. There is a Magic Eye tuning tube at the top.

The speaker looks like it was probably replaced.

The cabinet is definitely custom. The back of the cabinet is all wood, but it is hinged at top for access.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Just curious how you can be sure finish is original. I'm sure others would like to know too. Thanks.

Excellent point, Codefox. In the photo, the Concert Grand looks really light to be "original." True, cameras can make an object look too light or too dark, depending on lighting, but this Concert Grand just looks too light in the photo to be an original, toned finish.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Interesting. It's a 7T5 radio, speaker, and escutchion. I would have expected a higher end radio in such a high end cabinet.

I still think that it's a custom cabinet.....

The cabinet is indeed custom. I sold that radio 6-7 years ago. It came from the estate of a cabinet maker that had his own shop. He even specialized for a while in custom radio cabinets. I had a photo of him in his shop, that went with the radio at that time.

TA Forbes Wrote:Interesting. It's a 7T5 radio, speaker, and escutchion. I would have expected a higher end radio in such a high end cabinet.

I still think that it's a custom cabinet.....

I think that the speaker is aftermarket, most RCAs I've seen from 1931 forward have the rear bracket holding the field coil welded in place while that one has a set of machine screws holding it on.
Regards
Arran

I must say he must have been a fine woodworker! That is a very nice cabinet. Personally, I think a nice cabinet like that should have a nice-er radio in it!

Hmmm, without actually looking at my RCAs I must admit that I am not sure about the manner in which the RCA speakers were constructed. It does appear to have the correct jack on it for the plug from the chassis.

Could it be a Frankenspeaker?

But right now, I have a more important thing to think about..... like what in the world did Julia Roberts ever see in Lyle Lovett????