Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 98 EXPORT Model

Willie / Hotwire

I just sent an email to you with a PDF file; this contains the 640 service bulletin plus all known production changes. Hope this helps.

I still need to look for a wave trap. I am sure I have one or three around here somewhere.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron.
That data is great. You are a star. My resolve to have another go at this old Philco is renewed.
I aquired this one from the UK. Philcos are rare here In Ireland as most radios sold here were made here which was the result of a trade protectionist policy of the early free state. Import tarrifs made it more economicle to produce hare than import. as a result Irish Radios are often unique to Ireland.
I will keep the forum updated and no doubt seek advice.

regards to all.
Willie.

Hi Again Folks.
I have just acquired another Philco 98.
This time it is a Series1.
It had been in the same family here since new.
I attach photos of top and dial.
Rider pages 8-90. 8-91. 8-92.

My Question is.
Had this chassis a different model number in the US.
Ron Identified the Series 2 above as model 640 in the US.

Regards to you All.

Willie.

Attached Files Image(s)

PS.
This series 1 has a three gang wave band condenser.
The shadow meter is missing presumably removed at some repair.

PPS.

Rider Attached.

Attached Files
.pdf Philco 98 pdf.pdf Size: 193.7 KB  Downloads: 122

Hi Willie,

Now that Model 98 was not sold in the USA, but is very similar to model 97 which was sold here.

Main differences:
Model 97 has standard broadcast (AM), called medium wave or MW across the pond, plus two shortwave bands.
Model 98 has long wave, standard broadcast (AM or MW) and one shortwave band.

Both use seven tubes, and the chassis layout is the same. Model 97 was designed for use on our 110-115 volt mains.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron.
I recon that resolves the matter.
Don't know if I can recover this one yet. It has been got at by the salt environment here. Not good for the coils etc.
The Cabinet is also full of lodgers. The speaker is kaput, no shadow meter. I will know more when I ohm out the rest.

The other one (the 640) is allllmost finished. It is singing away fine now Just finishing the cabinet.
I will report back soon as it is finished.

Regards.
Willie.