Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO Font

PS - I do give a "rat's a**" too hence my going to great efforts to ask and get input.

This is new to me, but if such newbie questions are annoying, I guess I've picked the wrong forum to ask questions. Perhaps when I'm more seasoned after several years collecting and repairing / restoring Philco's, you'll be gracious enough to support my efforts to help the community.

"Peace" says Counselor Troy.
[Image: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54621529/troy.jpg]
Ron, I don't think anyone is trying to undo all the hard work you did. When there is a commercially available, and correctly formatted PHILCO logo and lettering decal its (in my opinion) preferable to buy them so the restoration is a) correct and b) we encourage the commercial vendor to continue to provide the product. I started down the "find the font" path when I thought I needed to make a decal that wasn't commercially available. I used the "PHILCO" logo as the comparison tool to see how well the fonts matched because the logo is the most recognizable lettering. If you can get that comparison to be close, then the other lettering like "Phono," "Radio," "Volume" etc., should turn out close enough for most purposes. Phortunately a kind phorum member phound a commercial decal for my current project, but I don't think one is available for AWC's project. As I mentioned earlier, I appreciate your expertise and hard work. I also appreciate AWC's enthusiasm and design skill in trying to provide a potential solution.

Now, when it comes to the actual PHILCO trademark, yes, I'm touchy on that subject and make no apologies for it. After literally years of lobbying Radio Daze - not just myself, but others as well - our efforts finally worked and they now sell authentic decals depicting the PHILCO trademark.

There is no reason now for that to be changed. Ever. If the PHILCO name doesn't look right, it makes the entire radio look "cheap."

If we're just talking about other, supplemental decals - such as the PHONO-OFF-RADIO, etc. for the 46-1201 - then yes, I support any and all efforts 100% to make those available. I do not own one of those, so I do not recall offhand exactly what they should look like. If the Ivan Becker font is what is needed for those, then by all means, make it happen and best of luck in doing so.

So AWC, I apologize for offending you. I just don't want to see the decals depicting the PHILCO name (trademark) being changed after all of the time it took to get them "right."

As my daughter used to say when she was little, "Peace, love, and chicken grease." What does that mean? I don't know...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

I am by profession a professional designer, more accurately, a Creative Director with twenty years experience, leading, mentoring, directing, hiring (and firing) designers, writers, and video and computer technicians and artists. I have been personally responsible (and held liable) for the visual representation and multi-million dollar marketing of nationally known brands in major US markets.

That said, I understad your vigilance. I am very well aware of brand integrity and am in no ways trying to cheapen Philco. I am merely trying to fill a hole in a product line and restore my insignificant little machine back to period correct standards.

The IvanBecker font is not a 100% accurate replication of the Philco logotype, nor was it ever. I think I've made that abundantly clear in my posts. It does have great similarities that, from a designer's perspective, seemed of interest to share, but only after skilled manipulation will it replicate the Philco logotype truthfully.

I'm sorry it took years of lobbying unresponsive retailers to get their act straight. If you will forgive the conceit, if I had only been on the scene earlier, I could have quickly reproduced a master file for you and anyone to utilize, gratis.

It's not a hard logotype to replicate (as unfortunately many are for companies - see IBM, UNISYS, digital, etc.,) as it only took this decrepit old designer a few hours in an evening to pop off onto a page (screen).

That said, I'm sorry to hear how you were tossed aside in your pleas to correct a poorly made, yet nevertheless, overly hawked hack. It really is not that hard to fix and I would have been equally aggravated, waiting for sellers to burn through their invested stock of crap until all had been sold, all the time, ironically, continuing to perpetuate and disseminate the crime you had wanted ceased.

I could have lent all a hand (and still can lend) in getting quality reproductions made in quantity with no mark-up or profit. It's really not that hard to make so when you know how, especially when all you are doing is trying to help.

The aforementioned neglect by retailers noted, please don't so quick to assume any and every attempt to replicate anything Philco automatically ends up crap. There are some out there who are laboring in respect, and are not just out to make a quick buck.