Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Could someone pat me on the back?

DKinYORKpa Wrote:OK, but, when I look in my RCA tube book and see 175VDC maximum on a 45 plate

You mean 275 VDC, don't you?

Quote:did they come up with that number on an old meter, as well?

Yes! Alan Douglas can correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that 1000 ohms/volt was considered "state of the art" in 1930.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I bought myself this, the ME-9E

(well, from another manufacturer, not Weston, but the Army gave orders to more than 3 companies to buold these).
Mine is practically new, looks like NOS or near-mint.

This has 20K/V on the left side, and the same voltages at 1K/V on the right.
Very handy to measure those voltages which were measured back then. With some precautions, of course.

Quote:
Quote:If you don't see it it may be inside the filter can.

Nope, cap#11 is a bakelite cap block. It was removed by the last guy and I've rewired it and other things the best I can by following the schematic. While it works great, as I look at the schematic, the ungrounded side of #11 goes up to the coupling capacitors (#8&#8, mounted across RF xformers 9&10) thru a lug on the transformer........But wait!!!!!......after careful examination of the schematic AND the photo of the underneath of the chassis, the last guy took the wire that should have gone to cap #11 and ran it to the 2nd grid of the 1st and 2nd RF tubes! (the shiny solder should have tipped me off). So I ran that wire to #11. Sadly, the radio works as great as it did beforeIcon_lol. I've now made the last wrong right, though.

Quote:You mean 275 VDC, don't you?

Yes, sorry.

DKinYORKpa Wrote:Sadly, the radio works as great as it did beforeIcon_lol. I've now made the last wrong right, though.

Excellent! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN