Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What my 16B looked like when I got it and then....

@ CrumblingWires;
Yes, I know about the different 16B cabinets. Yes, I know mine is the late one because I had purchased a copy of Ron's book several years ago when I found this radio.

"I imagine Kenny will be repopping both of these patterns soon." Is this someone who has/is reproducing chevron patterns? There must be a bunch of us ready to be his customers.
-----------------------------------------
Re: the grillecloth on my 16B. It's a mystery to me why the wainscoating door my 16B was mounted on had a "console" cloth. Perhaps that cloth was taken from the other radio's (38-1) cabinet in that house and put with the 16B. Spose? If so, whoever did that, put it on the door upside down. The "built-ins" the 38-1 was in had very narrow slots cut in its door and no grillecloth was present to my knowledge. Too many unknowns to make a definitive statement on that.

Aren't mysteries fun??!![/i]

BOTH of the 16B tombstones that are commonly referred to as the "Deco" style use the 1935-37 "V" or "Chevron" pattern. Post #14 in this thread shows a color picture of this pattern, as formerly reproduced by Radio Grille Cloth Headquarters.

In this case, it does not matter about the differences in the two cabinets because both use the same pattern of grille cloth.

Art: Hang on, help is on the way - as in new repro 1935-37 Philco chevron or "V" cloth. I do not know when it will be available, but it is being developed.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

"Hang on, help is on the way - as in new repro 1935-37 Philco chevron or "V" cloth. I do not know when it will be available, but it is being developed."

This is good news. I've got a 116B thats been sitting here all ready to go except for lack of replacement grille cloth.

Steve Chambers

Oh, I forgot to mention: The "Kenny" referred to previously is my friend Kenneth Richmond of Richmond Designs.

http://richmonddesignsinc.com/

Recently he made the Zenith cloth as used in the "Walton" sets available. I've seen it and it looks great! Icon_thumbup And it is he who is also developing new Philco "V" or "chevron" cloth for 1935-37 Philcos.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

@Ron,

That is great news! It made my day! Icon_wave

Now to get to work on my 38-1 refinish job. (It's about 2 weeks out.) Hope the weather here warms up and stays that way. Wish I had a spray booth but my unheated garage is my only option. Stripping that BIG cabinet will take some time.

Art

Neither of the patterns in Ron’s post #14 appears to be the pattern in the ad post #9.

Brett

Sigh... Icon_rolleyes

OK, boys and girls, it's time for Grille Cloth School! Icon_clap

Yes, there was a variant of the 1935-37 "V" pattern cloth. I don't know how long this image will be available, as it is from an eBay auction which just ended:

[Image: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Philco-Model-16B-...~60_57.JPG]

See the bargain here - it was posted early this morning and ended after only a few hours:
http://cgi.ebay.com/121091108807

Anyway...most of these 16B cabinets used cloth very similar to this:

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...8f6f47.jpg]

The later 16B "shouldered" tombstone usually had "V" cloth that looked like the set in the first photo above.

This variant of the "V" pattern was never reproduced. Most of the 1935-37 Philco consoles using "V" cloth used the pattern shown in the second image above, as did many if not most of the "Deco" 16B tombstones.

Now here's another little tidbit. The reproduced "V" cloth does not look exactly like the original. There are differences.

But you will be glad to know that I sent Kenny Richmond a sample of the real deal (a piece of authentic 1935-37 "V" cloth, not reproduction stuff), so knowing that Kenny is a perfectionist (which is definitely a good thing, especially when it comes to reproduction cloth), I have every confidence that Kenny's cloth will look as it is supposed to look.

Okay, kids, class dismissed. Icon_wave

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN