Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-1 cabinet progress

Terry,
Indeed I did have a GE H87. You have some kind of memory!!Icon_eek

But in order to have room for the 38-1, I had to get rid of something; in this case, it was the H87. It found a new home in Iowa. I do miss it though. Nice sound, nice cabinet, nice everything. If my basement family room display area was larger, I could have kept it.

One last look..........

Attached Files Image(s)

I had one way back in the late 60's. like you said a nice looking good sounding set. I've been on again off again looking for one. I miss the the one I had. I did pick up a H-77 which is the same set with a single 6W6 in the output. Good player and has the Beam-a-Scope!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42774321@N08/3941397549/
I really like that big hunk of wood on the front of the H-87.
Great memories
Terry

Art they are a nice bunch! Would love them play all at the same time!

Art, that is a swell bunch of consoles.

I'm not a "Z" guy, but lately seem t be bumping int them. First a 12S471, then a 12S265, and now ANOTHER 12S471.

TA,
I wouldn't mind having either one (or both) of those---if I had the space!!!!!
Art

Art, You rarely see the 38-1 around. It must of been a low production console? You would think a console 38-1 would pop up for sale now and again. Especially with it being console # 1 being produced in the model year of 1938. If thats how they numbered them as they were produced.?

Ron says 7,500 were produced.

Wish I had a 38-1 hard to find radio. Thank god you saved that one.

I found my 38-1 near Snow Hill, NC.

They ARE here in the south, but ya gotta work for 'em. Unfortunately the weather down here is unkind to a set kept in a barn or attic....

I'm new to the Phorum and noticed this thread on the Philco 38-1. I purchased one about a month through Craig's list. The owner had only 2 pictures posted but the cabinet looked beautiful! He was asking $40 and I pretty much purchased it over the phone, sight unseen. It was a 100 mile drive each way but well worth it. Not much history from the owner other than he bought it for $25 at a yard sale! So he was happy with the sale and so was I! I have someone that does the chassis/electrical work for me and I do the cosmetics. It has not been tested yet so not sure what will be involved in repair/restoration. I'm fascinated by the automatic tuning aspect of this model. I'm just getting into vintage radios and like the Philco units as I am a Ford guy (not to mention the cool styling)! My Philco collection includes the 38-1, 48-482 (listening to the SF Giants on this radio right now), 49-909 (AM/FM table model), and a A-361 console with the converted AM car radio. I look forward to being an avid contributor and will probably be asking lots of questions regarding my Philco's and this "highly addicting" hobby. Thanks for your time.

Craig R.

Welcome!!

This is the place for Philco (and even non-Philco) info.

You will be pleased with your 38-1 if it is done right.