Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Delco 32 volt console

Hit a bit of a snag. The radio was all ready to go, but we were getting incorrect voltages and the tubes were very dim. After ruling out the input transformer and retesting the tubes, it turned out one of the NOS 48s is shorted out! Now, I just hope that old store in town has one more hidden upstairs...

No matter where you go, there you are.

Usually when you find a 32V set it's in pretty decent shape. EXCEPT for the "plugging it into 120V AC" problem....

EVERY 32V set that I have ever owned had this problem. For the sets that used the 32V for B+ and suppressor grid, the damage was correctable although most or ALL tube filaments were open......

The one set that thus far has been unrepairable was my Philco 32 Tombstone.

Philco used a unique 32V vibrator that provided "AC" to the transformer and 84 rectifier. The tube filaments,except for the 84 tube, were in series with the 32V. The rest of the set was very similar to a model 89.

When a previous owner plugged the set into a wall socket, they FRIED the vibrator in addition to the tube filaments.

Try finding a 32V vibrator.......Icon_mad

Like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibrator-for-rad...338517306a

It seem strange that a shorted tube would cause that problem, grid to pate or cathode to grid short? I would have thought maybe a shorted bypass capacitor rather then that, or the tone correction cap across the output transformer.
Regards
Arran

Brenda: HOLY CRAP !!!!!!!!!

I saved that one and will see if it might work with my set.

The 32V vibrator in the model 32 is a large can with leads coming out, not a "plug in" like the one in eBay. BUT beggars (me) can't be choosers, can we?? I would LOVE t get my 32 playing again.

Arran: no, the tube filaments in all the 32V sets were open, with the usual collateral damage to other components in the set. I did not measure any other tube damage as the point was moot, but would not be surprised if there was other inter-element tube damage. In the Philco the damage was a bit more dramatic, as the "points" of the vibrator were literally melted off!!!

Hi All;
Its truely Amazing what 120 volts can do to a non 120 volt set !!
THANK YOU Marty

Well, I lucked out. The old TV shop had two more 48's left burried on one shelf and I nabbed both. Hopefully neither of these are shorted like the last one I bought was. Radio is ready to go except for that one new 48 shorting!

Hi Jayce;
I have One #48, If you want or need another one, I have NO use for the one I have..
THANK YOU Marty

Hello, Jay: I may have one too, will check....

Thanks! There might be a tombstone version of my radio in the future for me, so I will keep you both in mind if I get it. Icon_smile