Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New PHILCO 630

Wow looks great. Nice job!

Looks great Jeremy! I'll be working on a 640 which has the same cabinet and am following your progress closely.

- Geoff

Here are a few pictures after just two coats of Formby's tung oil finish on the top, sides, and trim. I'll probably put on a third coat, then do a light scuffing with 4/0 steel wool, then a few more coats. The finish is building up pretty quickly.

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is the final result of my cabinet restoration. In the end, it only required about 5 coats of Formby's tung oil varnish (I think my supply had thickened a bit, but it didn't seem to affect the final result). I followed up by a rubbing with Howard's Restore-a-Shine and then a coat of paste wax. The cabinet is very dark, making it somewhat difficult to photograph. The result is not quite like lacquer, but I think it is pretty close. Comments welcome, especially on how you think it compares to the more typical toned spray lacquer refinishes.

In looking at the photos, the light lines along the front trim appear more noticeable than they are in reality, though I may go back and touch them up. This is the result of using a pigment stain for coloration rather than toner .

Attached Files Image(s)